Chapter 8

Grian awoke in a cold sweat. He was shivering all over, heart hammering in his chest. It took him a second to remember, but the details of his nightmare came flooding back to him.
The entire world was on fire. He was choking, strangled by thick black plumes of smoke while fire burned his skin. He watched as all his friends burned to nothing, piles of ash and soot on the ground. Some wall held him back, separated him from the rest of the group. That wasn't even the worst of it, though.
The poor blonde had to watch over and over as Scar was fried to a crisp, the screams unnaturally real and heartbreakingly sad. He cried out, screaming until his throat was raw, as he watched the nightmare version of his friend die, again and again and again. He had only awoken because Jellie has shifted on the bed, now sleeping contently nuzzled against his leg. The nightmare was bone chillingly realistic, and the smaller put his a hand to his face, surprised to feel it wet.
The male shriveled into himself, squeezing his eyes shut and wrapping his arms around his knees, rocking back and forth in an attempt to calm himself. The poor feathered man looked so small, an echo of his usual, cheery and happy self. Or was that the real him? He wasn't sure anymore. First a mysterious yet attractive stranger shows up, then a war nobody wanted, and then a bunch of elves appear out of nowhere. Not to much new feelings, too- he was still processing what it all meant to him. Still, he was tired and upset, and didn't know what to do but what he'd done for so many nights as a kid and many nights now, which was to try and forget the world around him and stay strong for the people who needed him.
The brunette tossed in his sleep, awakening groggily to the sound of sniffling. He turned to face the shorter, surprised to see him up so late and even more so that the poor feathered hybrid was crying. It broke his heart to see his friend, usually smiling, tearing up in front of him. He heaved himself up, blinking any remnants of sleep away.
The Avian turned around toward Scar. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you." He whispered apologetically, wiping his eyes frantically as if he could hide the evidence. The scarred elf took his friends hand. "It's not your fault. I was already awake. But never mind that, tell me, what's wrong?"
The taller leaned down slightly, a kind and caring look in his eyes. Something about those eyes made Grian feel safe, and he hugged Scar, too tired and scared to feel embarrassed. "I'm fine now that your here," he muttered, breathing in the unique smell that was Scar, which smelt of old spice and cinnamon and a hint of something sweet. The taller rubbed his back soothingly, trying to coerce the smaller into a calmer state. They were surprisingly close already, even though they'd only met a few weeks before, but it was nice. They were comfortable with each other, and Scar was more than happy to help his friend in any way he possibly could. He knew that Grian would be like this sometimes, sad for some unknown reason. And yet, he never pressed for answers, just doing his best to soothe the storm. The shorter was so greatful of this, for he'd never really had a person he could go to.
They stayed like that for another half hour, sitting together in comfy silence. The duo watched as the first wispy tendrils of dawn grasped at the night sky, beautiful shades of pink and purple and tinted with orange specks. This was one of the best sunrises the blonde had ever seen, and he was more than glad to share it with someone as special to him as Scar.
As the sun started to make its lazy ascent in the sky, Grian decided he wouldn't be able to sleep. He excused himself to the kitchen and sat down on one of the stools near the counter. No one else seemed to be up yet, so the Avian decided that he should take a walk. After being trapped inside for so long, he felt like he was being slowly suffocated. After all, Avians were part bird, and birds were meant to fly free.
The man walked onto the balcony, already stretching his wings to prepare for flight. He crouched, getting ready to leap, when he heard someone call his name behind him. Startled, he jumped, making an awkward pivot before he was flying safely in the air.
"Jeez! You scared me!" He exclaimed, turning toward the source of the voice. It was one of the hermits, Mumbo, he remembered, standing solely on the balcony. "Do you need something?" The blonde questioned, tilting his head to the side. The mustached man blinked, then answered.
"Look, I'm happy Scar has made a friend here. I dunno what would've happened if he was alone when this started. And we're all very thankful that you took care of him for this long. But sooner or later, we're gonna have to leave. And he'll be coming with us. So what I'm saying is, don't get attached. It'll make it worse when we go. And I'd hate for you to get hurt. You've been a good friend to him. Just be careful." The black-haired male finished, shoving his hands in his pockets. Grian's heart sank. His good mood was instantly ruined. He nodded sullenly, landing next to the man before heading to his room, muttering something about needing some rest.
Scar watched as the smaller sulked into the room, not saying anything as he watched the bird hybrid open the painting that had been hanging on the wall and climb inside. Grian hadn't seemed to notice that the elf was still in the room, and had assumed that he was good to go to his little safe room. Obviously that wasn't the case.
      Scar entered the crawl space that his friend had just entered, silently thanking his luck that the blonde's feathers were louder than him trudging along in silence. He'd be safe, for now.
       He followed the unassuming male for a few more minutes, questioning where the passage led, when suddenly a room opened up from the corridor. The room was cozy-looking, and he wondered when and how the smaller had found it. The brunette sat quietly for a few moments as Grian shuffled around, then entered.
      The blonde looked up, obviously startled that someone had followed him to his Sanctuary. He wasn't surprised that it was Scar, however, because the taller seemed to be able to get in and out of places without being discovered. He plopped down in the bean bag chair, crossing his legs, looking up to Scar expectantly.
      Luckily, the green eyed man got the hint, and started with a question. "How did you find this place?"
      The shorter explained how he had bumped into the wall and discovered this secret little hideout. Nodding, the brunette asked, "Is there where your were when I couldn't find you?"
      The feathered hybrid hesitated. "Uh, well, yeah. That's actually when I first found this place. I'm sorry I worried you, though, when you couldn't find me," he apologized again. Scar shook his head. "I shouldn't have worried so much. You're your own person, and it's none of my business what and where you are. I'm sorry for being nosy," the other explained, a genuine apology in his eyes. Grian laughed softly. "It's nice to know someone cares," he lamented quietly. Shaking his head, he stood. "We should get outta here, before someone really does worry." The taller nodded. "Wouldn't want them to thing we're messing about with eachother." The bird male turned red, punching Scar lightly on the arm before grabbing his hand. They worked their way out of the painting, only to be greeted by absolute chaos.

*chuckles* I'm in danger :,)