Chapter 13

Scar watched as Grian walked back into the living room, face unreadable, followed by his Avian friend and a bunch of others. Instantly his brow furrowed. These poor beings were bedraggled and dirty, clothes torn and covered in all sorts of injuries. He was horrified that this was the cause of his people. Elves he could've grown up with did this to his friend's brethren. Disgusted, he turned away. He had to find a way to fix this, if not to help them but to help Grian. Looking back, he saw the shorter looking (unironically) war torn. The blonde was helping an Avian with a sickeningly bent wing into a chair. He looked so sad that Scar wanted to rush over to him and give him a big hug. He couldn't, of course, because the younger was busy.
Instead, Scar helped tend to the others, who were looking dreary and exhausted. He showed a few of them to his and Grian's room, where he figured they'd be the most comfortable. The brunette didn't mind sleeping on the floor if it meant the wounded were comfy.
After an hour of getting the warriors tended to and tucked in, Scar walked into the kitchen to get a drink. There, his friends were in a huddled group, discussing in low voices the situation. Scar guessed they were worried for their people while being scared for the Avians, and they all seemed conflicted about what to do. Instead of joining their conversation, the taller went in search for Grian, who he found on the balcony.
The hybrid was sitting on the railing, staring off into the stars. Scar thought he looked beautiful, the pale moonlight hitting his skin while his hair framed his face with perfection. The Avian then turned, locking eyes with Scar. The elf could see so much in those eyes; regret, sadness, remorse, and something else. A tinge of... longing? Was the little guy missing someone? Imaging something he couldn't have? Shaking his head, the other trailed toward the rail, leaping onto it with a grunt. Brushing hair off his forehead, he turned to Grian.
"How are you doing?" he questioned, motioning for the smaller to scoot closer. Grian complied, laying his head on the bigger's shoulder before answering.
"I'm fine. It's the others I'm worried about," he replied quietly, craning his neck to meet Scar's eyes.
"They've been hurt so bad, Scar. And not just physically. It's like- they've lost all hope. Everything they ever stood for, all they cared for, gone. It's like they've died, a body without a soul. I can't stand seeing them like that. All those people, all of em, used to be so filled with joy and happiness and love. It's just... I feel like it's my fault," the blonde stated, his voice cracking at the end. His eyes filled with tears, and Scar hugged him closer.
"You didn't cause this, Grian. None of us did. Sometimes, stupid people can't get along and they do stupid stuff over it. I've seen it first hand. But, believe me, you were not the cause of it all, not in any way, shape, or form. Do t put that on yourself, because trust me, it will crush you. And I don't want that for you," Scar added softly, looking down at the male. God, why he have to look like that: Sparkling midnight eyes, luscious blonde waves of hair shining like an ocean made of sand, breathtaking lips as pink as a cherry blossom. The brunette thought his eyes would burn, being the witness of such a beautiful man that he had to be hand-made by some greater being. Yes, the man in front of him was too glorious to be simply born into the world, as others were. He was just... perfect.
Grian, catching him staring, cracked a smile. "Like what you see?" he teased, laughing when Scar turned a light shade of red. "Ooh, someone's flustered~," he continued, laughing even louder. Scar rolled his eyes, then laughed too. Grian shifted so he was facing the other. "Yknow, Scar, you look much better when there's not hair in your eyes," he commented, brushing his "friend's" hair to the side. He knew it was risky, but he really did believe it made Scar look better. Thankfully, Scar couldn't see his soulmark, and Grian's sweater covered his, so he breathed an inward sigh of relief. Still, he kept his hand there, lingering on the brunette's face while he tried to drink in every detail, every swoop, every curve. He wanted to commit this man to memory, wanted to wake up everyday with this exact picture in his head. Scar gazed at him with those emerald eyes, the ones that made Grian's heart skip a beat every time he looked into them. It was then that the Avian realized he had truly, fully, fallen for the kindred elf in front of him. He looked away. They simply couldn't be, no matter how much he wished, no- longed for it to. It just couldn't happen.
Scar stood up, holding his hand out to Grian to grab. The other slipped his hand into the offered one, getting up as well. They walked inside the treehouse, Scar leading them toward their room. The other Avians had left by now, retiring to their own corners of the house, when the duo entered. The brunette tucked Grian in before getting in himself, kissing the shorter softly on the forehead. Blushing and tired, Grian nuzzled his head into the taller's surprisingly toned chest (hehe Scitties) . Scar hugged his friend (?) tighter, whispering calming nothings in his ear as Grian's eyes sunk shut. Feeling the shorter's breaths deepen, he closed his eyes himself, willing himself into the welcome void of sleep. As they'd done many times before, the two fell asleep in each other's loving embraces.