Chapter 10

Grian had been fidgeting ever since they woke up, and Scar couldn't figure out why. Of course, if the brunette had noticed the now white mark imprinted on his forehead, he'd probably be just as freaky. The reality, though, was that he did not know. He was so tired at that point, he didn't even remember the kiss. So all Scar knew was the Grian was acting weird. And he was going to get to the bottom of it.
The brunette seemed to be deep in thought,contemplating whatever he contemplated in his spare time, on the balcony. It wasn't hard to sneak behind him, he was so distracted. The smaller huffed. That took the fun out of it.
The Avian quietly hovered a few inches off the ground, so he was just above the others head. Inching forward just slightly, he bent so he was making eye contact with the taller. The shorter broke into a smile. "Whatcha doin?" he asked.
Scar stared at the blonde for a moment before answering. "Just thinking" Grian frowned. "Bout what?" He questioned, curiosity getting the better of him. The brunette simply shook his head, though, much to the others annoyance. "You can't say random things like that and not tell me," he huffed, crossing his arms midair. The elf shrugged. "Oh well. Guess your have to live with it," the other announced, smiling slightly.  He knew it would drive Grian crazy trying to imagine what he was talking about. The other's curiosity was both a blessing and a curse.
Breaking the silence, Scar asked, "How d'you think the war's going?" The Avian landed, sitting down next to the magician. "Well, I guess we wouldn't know. Half the country could be coated in ash. Sometimes it feels wrong, to be sitting here safe while people are dying. I hate it. But it's just another thing I can't control," the blonde finished, staring at his hands. The businessman's heart broke. He had never seen the little guy looking so sad. All that he wanted to do was make him happy again. So, he did just that.
The brunette stood up, stretching his arms before turning toward the shorter. Grian looked up questioningly as the other bent over him, craning his neck so he could look Scar in the eyes. The taller chuckled and picked Grian up bridal style, laughing even harder as the hybrid squirmed in his arms. "Scar! Put me down!" He giggled, kicking his legs as the other spun him around in circles. His heart pounded in his chest. He'd already decided he wouldn't tell Scar, pretend he didn't know. That was his best bet. But that didn't meant he couldn't enjoy spending time with his friend. A flash of something appeared in the corner of his eye, but he dismissed it as nothing. But it wasn't nothing.
      It was Mumbo, watching the two with eyes narrowed. He could tell what was going on, and he knew what would happen if it were to continue. Scar would want to stay, and Mumbo simply couldn't have that. His friend was his, and Grian was just going to have to find a different one. The beginnings of a plan formed in his head, and he turned and walked off.
      Meanwhile, the two had collapsed on the balcony in fits of giggles. Looking up toward the sky, he pointed out the sun to the elf. "Looks like it's about time to get lunch. I'll go prepare something, and you can go hang out with your friends." Scar nodded at the others request and stood up, offering his hand to the smaller to take. And the smaller did, smiling ear to ear, as the duo walked inside.
      As Grian went to make lunch, he was stopped by a certain mustached man. Second time in a week, he noted to himself, eyeing the tall black-haired male warily. He didn't like where this would go. "I'm sure you know what this is about," the elf started, looking at the smaller with something that resembled... anger? Really? Grian hadn't done anything wrong. Mumbo could lay off. The shorter responded. "Listen, I don't care what you have to say, I will be friends with Scar and you can't stop me. Stop trying to break us apart. I'm every bit as much of Scar's friend as he is yours. If that bothers you, you can go cry a river cus I'm done with this! Your acting so childish. Honestly, grow up," the Avian rolled his eyes and walked off, crossing his arms.Mumbo blinked, surprised at the emotion that the hybrid had just shown, and just stood shocked.
      Grian, now more than a little annoyed, huffed as he threw together some lunch for the residents of the treehouse. Mumbo didn't have to be so rude. So what if Scar was his friend? Mumbo could stop being such a baby about it. The Avain paused, wondering when he'd become so defensive. He didn't remember being this way before. His elven friend must've changed him more than he'd thought.
      After a few more minutes, the blonde had prepared some mushroom stew for the household. He called for everyone to come out from where they were and eat, handing out the bowls as people came and went. When he was finished, he started to his room, only to be stopped by Bdubs. "Hey, Grian! Aren't you gonna eat?" The Avian shrugged his shoulders. "I'm not really hungry," he responded, glancing toward the hallway as he wished to be out of the awkward conversation. This wasn't the best time. Bdubs looked confused. "But you haven't eaten all day. You must wanna eat something!" he commented, and the other sighed inwardly. "I'll eat later, but thanks for the offer!" He answered with a fake cheery smile, speed walking off to his room before the moss man could respond. Scar, who had witnessed all this, followed the little guy to their room.
      "Grian?" Scar called out softly, spotting him at the window seat that was over by the far side of the room. He walked over, settling down next to the bird man. The smaller turned toward the business-elf. "Hmm?" "Are you alright?" The brunette questioned, eyes creased in worry. The blonde shrugged. Scar took his hands. "Hey, you can talk to me if anything's wrong, okay?" Grian, agains stayed silent, just nodding. And that's when Scar noticed.
      He had glanced down at Grian's hands by pure coincidence, and noticed the formerly black mark now white. "Oh my gosh! Why didn't you tell me, Grian! You've found your soul mate!" The other yanked his hand away. "You weren't s'posed to see that.." he replied, covering his arm with his sleeve. Scar looked down at him. "So, who is it!"
      Grian glanced at Scar. Beautiful, blissful, a bit dumb, Scar. He remembered when he didn't belive in soulmates, how he'd denied they existed, how none of it had happened. Then he'd met this wonderful, confusing, brightening man. The man with the pretty emerald eyes and the earth-colored hair. His Scar. That's who he was, in the end. His Scar.
      "No one." the blonde answered. "Nobody who could stay, anyway."

sorry for late