Chapter 22

It had been a long day for Scar. After all the "Dream Business," the brunette had helped around the bunker for the rest of the day to get it off his mind. He was still worried about tomorrow's outcome, but finally he would have a chance to rest.
He blinked as Grian entered the room. The poor guy looked like he'd flown into a tree. He had probably overworked himself again, which wasn't good since he hadn't slept in a while either. The businessman smiled to himself as Grian flopped onto the bed, groaning into a pillow. "I could sleep for a million years," he said, rolling himself up in a little ball. Scar wrapped his arms around his friend, patting his head. "But then you wouldn't get to see me, silly."
The blonde contemplated this. "You're right. I'd rather get to wake up to you everyday then not see you for a million years," he stated, gazing at Scar with his little black eyes. Why did his friend have to be so adorable? Scar blushed at this thought, coughing to hide his face.
"I'd rather wake up to you everyday too. Maybe once this war is over, we can find a nice secluded spot in the jungle and hang there, just the two of us," the magician sighed, smiling wistfully. Grian's heart cracked in two. He'd love nothing more, but he knew that such a thing was just wishful thinking. He knew that never, not in a million years, would he take Scar for his own if it meant casting him out of society. "Maybe one day," he muttered.
They lay silently in their bed for a while, each to their own thoughts. Grian was fretting over the upcoming battle, and Scar was pondering what he was going to do about Dream. When they'd both finally decided to get some rest, they snuggled into each other and fell into the void of sleep.

Meanwhile, a certain green-jacketed elf was pacing from side to side, huffing to himself as doe-brown eyes followed his movement. "Dream, panicking isn't going to help anything," the shorter tried to soothe, ever the voice of reason. The other turned to him sharply. "And staying calm won't help either! We don't have time, George. We- we need to save Scar before the battle. If we don't, an innocent life will be-" George held up a hand to stop his partner's ranting.
"Are the others not innocent lives?" He asked quietly. "Are they not people to? Do we really hate them this much, even though the only difference between elf and Avian is ears and wings?" He looked questioningly at Dream, eyes almost accusing. Trust the brunette to take the psychological approach to any situation. Still, his words hit hard.
The taller's gaze softened. He didn't believe much about 'differences' either, but he was willing to do what it takes to stay at the top. If that means fighting in a war he thinks to be nonsensical, so be it. "We have to, Gogy..." he murmured, eyes now downcast as if he were ashamed of his statement. "We have no choice."
George looked him over again and sighed, clearly disappointed. It was clear that his friend wouldn't listen to reason. "Don't we? Don't we always?"

Grian awoke to the sun shining brightly through an open window. He yawned, blinking around the room as his eyes adjusted to the light. He was supposed to be meeting up with some of the soldiers today, so he figured he should get a fresh and early start.
Hopping out of bed, he quickly got dressed and said good morning to the Hermits before grabbing a piece of fruit and heading outside. He looked down from the balcony, his breath intaking sharply as he remembered what happened here before. Slowly, the blonde shook his head, as if to clear the morbid thoughts from his mind. The male stretched and shook his wings out slightly, cramped from the lack of use. He stood on the railing, taking in the beautiful day before swooping down to the clearing where Scar and him had had their picnic. There were only a few people there, but that was fine since the shorty didn't like large crowds.
As he got closer, he realized they were quite different looking. Not quite Avian or elf, he stared quizzically at the pair who seemed to be bickering. He landed in front of them with a grin, outstretching his hand.
"Hello! I'm Grian, as you probably know, and I figured I'd get to know some of the people who will be fighting on our side!" He exclaimed cheerfully, smiling his award-winning grin.
The two males stopped arguing at this. One was taller with light tannish colored hair and matching eyes. The other was shorter, with hay-colored hair and electric blue eyes. The smaller smirked at the newcomer.
The taller placed his hand on the smaller's head, grinning. "Why hello! My name is Wilbur, and this is my brother Tommy. It's a pleasure to meet you," he obliged, glancing at the Avian in front of him while the younger tried to get the others arm off.
"Hey! I can introduce myself, Will," he announced, quite loudly, and offered a dramatic bow. "I'm the one and only Tommy, innit?" The blue-eyed man offered, smiling ear to ear. Now that he was closer, Grian understood what stood out about these two.
Tommy had about medium length wings, though they were a dullish gray, an unusual color for Avian wings. His ears were pointed, like an elf's, but had a single feather on the base of each one. Wilbur, on the other hand, had no wings but minuscule brown feathers all down his arms. He had the same elvish ears, though his had no feathers and were definitely pointier. Realizing he was staring, he coughed embarrassedly. "I'm so sorry- I was just curious about-"
"The whole crossbreed thing? Yeh, we get that a lot," Wilbur lamented, waving a hand nonchalantly. "Our father is an Avian and our mother an elf. We had another brother, too, but.." the two brothers looked down, obviously a bit sniffly. The brunette cleared his throat and wiped his eyes. "We weren't really accepted anywhere, which is why we came here. When we heard about you and the elf and how your trying to stop your countries from fighting, well, we figured it was worth a shot. Maybe when this is all over, we'll have a nice place to call home," the taller finished, gazing off into the distance. The blonde was sitting in a tree, following his brothers' gaze. Needless to say, the duo had warmed his heart.
"We're happy to have you on our side. And you'll both be welcome in our village when everything's over. I guarantee it," he explained, beaming at his two new friends. "See you guys around!" The short Avian announced before taking off back toward the treehouse.
He landed back on the balcony, walking through the door and closing it. He had totally forgotten his breakfast because of his conversation with the pair, so he went to grab a little nibble before heading back to his room. He was about to open the door when suddenly all he saw was green eyes and blonde hair, an axe at the place his throat should start. He gulped as he heard the words:
"It's them or us. But you've gotta choose."

teehee late chapter so goofy and full of references. If I had dream I had to have my sbi family ykyk. anyway enjoy and follow amoonfox on TikTok :]