↳˳;; ❝ FIVE ᵕ̈೫˚∗

And I can only ask; what in the world made you do what you did back then?

『AHIKO』

STARTLED, I take a step back. I blink once before I come to my senses.

"Father. Welcome back." I say quickly, backing up to let him in. His face is as impassive as ever, but his eyes narrow as he spots the bandages wrapped around my head. "I wasn't expecting you home- so early." I stumble over the last two words, almost forgetting to add them.

He nods, then says, "I heard what happened at school."

I purse my lips. "Is that why you're back so early? Because I caused trouble at school?"

I look up, hoping he doesn't look disappointed. I can bear anger. I can bear frustration. But disappointment... Disappointment hurts in a way  those two never will.

Instead, however, he looks... aggravated. I gulp.

"You think I ran all the way here to yell at you?" He pinches the bridge of his nose and sighs. I stare in confusion as he walks over to my bed and sits on the edge, then pats the space next to him, looking at me expectantly. He wants me to sit, I'm guessing. I slowly walk over there before carefully sitting down next to him. He's not wearing his armor or happuri, but his demeanor is not quite inviting enough for me to relax.

"But why else would you come home so early? You must be upset and feel the need to reprimand me, right?" I say slowly, turning my head to stare at him. "I made a fool of myself in front of all those people."

It's his turn to stare at me incredulously. I feel stupid. Why do I feel stupid? I shouldn't be feeling stupid.

"You really think I came home to yell at you?" He asks, turning his whole body so he's facing me completely.

I don't give an answer, because why else would he be here? He came rushing home after my incident, when for the past twelve years, he had acted like I didn't exist. There's no other plausible reason but for him to be angry.

He sighs again, running his fingers through his white hair. "Oh God, how the hell did you come up with that conclusion?" He murmurs, mostly to himself. "I came because I heard you got hurt at school and sent home." It feels like there's something he wants to add, but doesn't. I stay silent, however. He scowls and closes his eyes, leaning back onto his hands. "So, no, I did not come back to yell at you."

"...You're not mad at me?" I ask meekly, just wanting to make sure. It seems too good to be true.

"I know you're not the kind of person to do anything without good reason. If you yelled at the teacher, I trust that you had a good reason." He replies, leaving me quite dumbstruck for several moments. "Of course," he adds, making my heart sink just a little. "Yelling at your superior is wrong. There'll be no punishment for you, but I just want you to know that."