↳˳;; ❝ FOURTEEN ᵕ̈೫˚∗

One after the other, these people keep slapping me with surprises

One after the other, these people keep slapping me with surprises. Can't I catch a break?

『AHIKO』

"..."

"Excuse me, but what the actual fuck, Hiroshi?"

The red eyes that stare back at me contain no hint of playfulness. No sign that what he said was a poorly crafted joke. A stupid, idiotic prank.

"Hiroshi."

He says nothing, his eyes giving away nothing.

"Tell me it's a joke."

He sighs, rubbing his temples slowly.

His eyes shut, and I feel my stomach slowly dropping. I swear my heart stops.

What is going on? What is he thinking right now? What is he about to say? What did he mean by that? Why the hell did he think that was a funny thing to say?

Does he- Does he like me? I shake the thought away. Now I must be the stuck-up one, to ever consider something like that. But still, the way he worded that sentence... I can't help but think he might...

"Don't worry. It's not what you think."

I feel the tensed muscles of my core and face relaxing as he leans back onto the heels of his hands.

Oh thank god.

But I quickly find myself growing angry as the nervousness and fear melt away.

"Explain." I snap, wondering if my friend's sense of humor is actually screwed up. "Right now. You actually scared me, Hiroshi. That wasn't funny."

"It wasn't a joke." He murmurs quietly, eyes drifting to the floor.

"Then what the hell was it?!"

"The truth." He says plainly. Still not looking up. Not meeting my eyes. The usual aura of playfulness and amusement that envelops him is nowhere to be seen.

"Explain." I repeat, seething at Hiroshi's waywardness. He- He is so confusing sometimes! Would it kill him to say things straightforwardly?!

He finally looks up at me, all past humor and lightheartedness gone from his gaze.

"The girl I've been dreaming of- I don't know her name. And she looks young, like a little kid.. But I think in my dreams, we're the same age. I'm younger, too." His voice is quiet as he begins talking. "And I didn't really notice until I kept seeing her over and over again, but... She looks like you. Her eyes, her hair- They're all the same as yours."