↳˳;; ❝ THIRTEEN ᵕ̈೫˚∗

And truly, at that moment, I felt like slapping some sense into you

『AHIKO』

FOR SEVERAL MOMENTS, all I can hear are the obnoxious chirping of the crickets, and my own heart, pounding so loud it almost drowns them out.

Holy crap. How did he know I was here?

"Um..." I lower my raised fist slowly and carefully, as if any sudden movements will set him off like a rabid dog. I swallow, trying to figure out what to say. "Hi?"

He stares at me flatly, his red eyes giving no hint to any thoughts racing through his head. Nothing about what he could possibly be thinking about as I straighten, standing tall and wiping any trace of guilt or surprise off my pale face.

"Care to explain why you're here?" He asks nonchalantly, leaning against the doorframe. "I thought you didn't know me, right?"

I glance down at my feet, shame and guilt making my hands clench at my sides. I almost wince, though, as my right hand stings prickles, painfully reminding me of the presence of the glass.

Hiroshi crosses his arms as he waits for my reply.

"Ah. About that..." I purse my lips, wondering what I should say. I didn't think I would run into him until tomorrow, so I hadn't prepared an explanation. "Uh-" My voice wavers under his scrutinizing stare. "I... I remember you now. And I want you to know that I'm sorry for forgetting you."

I pause, my earlier nervousness making a comeback and causing me to fidget.

"Though I have absolutely zero idea how that came to be, I'm still sorry. You must have been angry."

Hiroshi digests my words for several nerve-wracking moments before finally saying, "Don't worry. I forgive you."

I look up at him almost incredulously. He's forgiving me that easily? I had been expecting venomous words and icy glares, not the hint of... understanding that laces his voice.

"Really?" I ask, my words light and airy in disbelief as his forgiveness has yet to fully register in my mind. "But I just... forgot you like that. Are you not angry?"

"Of course I'm angry. Princess." He snorts, uncrossing his arms.

Ah, there's the Hiroshi I know.

I almost sigh in relief at the familiar mocking nickname that would normally have me pulling my hair out in exasperation.

"But I'm sure there's a good reason behind it."

I'm not sure if I'm hearing things, but I swear there's a... wobble in his voice.

I nod along, watching him carefully. I notice that he doesn't have his hair up like he normally does, but it instead hangs free, reaching down to a bit below his shoulders. He looks down at the gift I placed in front of his door, bending to pick it up.