Comfort Seeking

Eddie's POV.

"How's the feeling?" Dustin asked as I raised the improvised deadly shield I had created. 

"Durable." I answered. "Deadly... but reliable." I answered as he chuckled. "Hear me now." I started, emphasising a dramatic voice. "There will be no more retreating... from Eddie the Banished." I wandered around, shoes getting dirty by the grass.

"Hey, you're really ready for bat-tle." Dustin chortled at his dumb joke. "Get it? Bat-tle. B-A-T. No? I thought I had a good one." He frowned, getting distracted. I saw this as the perfect opportunity to test his reflexes and tackle him. I ran into him, trying to get him down, but he resisted.

"You son of a bitch." He tackled me this time, doing his best to get me down. Tired from our ten second long adrenaline rush, we calmed down, only smiling at how stupid we must've looked to the others.

"Never change, Dustin Henderson." I told him. "Promise me?"

"Wasn't planning on it." He spoke truthfully.

"Hey, Boys!" I heard a call. We turned seeing Y/N running our way. "Hi, guys." She approached. "How's the impaling shield project coming out?"

"Very good." I smiled, waving the shield around. 

I noticed her dozing off, a slight scowl showing through her expressions. "Hey, what's wrong? What'd I tell you about those frowns?"

"To turn them inside out."

"Upside down, babe." I corrected her, bringing her into my embrace. Dustin had gone to help Lucas and his sister to tie the spears since apparently Lucas was making them too loose, leaving Y/N and I alone. I looked down at her, her cheeks rosey. Suddenly I realised something. I leaned down and sniffed Y/N's shirt. "Noooooo." I exclaimed as I smelled the weed on her. "Y/n, what in God's name-"

"I heard that weed makes people feel happy when they don't feel good." She said. I stopped talking, my heart hammering as I listened to her speak. "I heard that some people use it so that they can't feel anything at all." She spoke lowly, her face grave. She looked up at me, her eyes reddened. "I don't feel good." She said honestly. She looked like she was breaking. Like she had been wanting to say that for a long time, and now that she had, she finally had the chance to let everything out.

With her in my arms, I sat her down on the grass, and stayed silent as I listened to her speak her thoughts. "I've been feeling so guilty. And it's been eating me up. I can't keep it in any longer." She was holding on very tightly. Everything wanted to burst out, and she was holding on with such force that she almost trembled when one tear fell down her cheek, Dampening her soft, rosey cheek. She finally looked up at me, face full of emotion. "I don't think it's going to work. I think Max is going to die, and it's going to be because of me. Because I was too selfish letting her take the responsibility to distract Vecna. I don't want to live knowing something like that if I could've changed the outcome."

"Nothing's going to happen to Max." I gained the courage to speak. "She will be fine. We all will be." I kissed the side of her head. "I'm happy you told me how you're feeling. You should never be afraid to tell me how you feel, Sweetheart. We're a team. We go through these things together. But let me tell you one thing... Drugs aren't going to help you with that. Yes, some people do seek comfort through them, but there are much healthier ways to do so. Talking to people can have the same effect, sometimes even better, which is also another reason I'm glad you opened up." I spoke honestly, feeling horrible for not noticing how she was feeling all this time.

"I feel..." She breathed deeply, a shakey breath escaping her lips. "I feel trapped... in a situation where it's either my friend dies, or I die." She sighed. "What would you do in my situation?"

I started to think of her question, asking myself what if the situation was me and Dustin instead. I know for a fact I would do whatever it takes to save him. I started to understand Y/n's anxiety more.

"I want both you and Max safe." I said. "And I'll make sure that I keep that a promise."

I saw her face give me a relieved nod. She smiled, leaning up to connect our lips.

"HEY!" Steve shouted from the distance, making Y/N back away before our lips even met. "No!" He warned. 

"Yeah, we can't really do anything with your brother around, can we?" 

"The answer is pretty clear." She chuckled, her true self shining brighter already.

I smiled, feeling a little more at ease, seeing her getting back to her happy self, but from now on, I was going to keep an extra eye on her and make sure that she was truly well. "You okay, baby?"

She nodded. "I'm okay." She confirmed, wrapping her arms around me. "I just hope that everything is going to be okay. I don't want anything bad to happen to any of us." She spoke as she played with the strands of my hair. "We deserve better, Eddie."

"I know we do." Thinking back at what had happened to us... Two innocent kids, just trying to have fun, only to be wanted for murder. It's a never ending chase for freedom. Which for some reason I believe we will never have.

Y'all can always contact me if you just wanna talk:)

BTW!!! When this story is finished, I'm going to be posting both the Joseph Quinn x reader and the Jinx x reader (From Arcane, a super cool show you can watch on Netflix. I recommend 100%) so stay tuned for both. Keep in mind that the Joseph Quinn x reader, is going to be about the ACTOR Joseph Quinn and not about any of his characters.