Heartbeat

Y/n's POV.

"I feel a heartbeat."

My body stiffened at Dustin's words and my body almost went limp. I was asking myself if I had truly heard him say that or if it was a trick from my mind. But when I walked back to Dustin and kneeled beside Eddie's body, I put my hand to his chest, and the weak heartbeat was steady.

***

Two days later

We were all in the hospital in Max's room. Just like we had been for the past two days. Well, not all of us. Not Eddie...

The only thing that was audible was the heart monitor, tracking Max's heart stability. Lucas was by her side, silent like everyone else. Nancy had fallen asleep on a chair in the corner. Steve was beside me on a couch by the window, a comforting hand around me. Everyone else was scattered around the room, lost in their own thoughts.

"I'm going to check on Eddie." I said as I got up. Before I could take another step, I felt a hand around my wrist, stopping me from moving. I looked back at Steve.

"You were there ten minutes ago. Sit down. Drink some water. Get some sleep. You've had no sleep for the past two days. You need to look after yourself as well."

We were lucky enough that Eddie got a room right across Max's in the hospital. It was easy to travel from one room to another when all I could do was worry about the two of them.

"I won't be long." I told him. He knew he couldn't stop me from going so he just nodded, giving me a reassurring smile.

I quietly left Max's room. 021.

And went into Eddie's. 022.

I opened the door and was immediately met with Dustin sleeping on the couch. Poor thing. He has had no sleep. He was just as much on edge as me. I turned my gaze to Eddie on the bed, his eyes closed. He hadn't woken yet since we were in the upside down.

I looked up at the heart monitor above his bed and relaxed. Some would say that the beeping was annoying. I partly agreed, but at the same time it brought me comfort. Knowing that I could hear Eddie's steady heartbeat was reassuring. He was getting better. It was a big step up from the first day we had gotten into the hospital.

~
Eddie lay still and unconscious on the stretcher as the doctors travelled at a fast pace to get Eddie into an ER. I followed after them with my tear stained face.

"His heartbeat is very weak. We might lose him." One of the doctors said as they entered ER halls.

"What did you say?! You said we might lose him?" I asked the doctors with a hand over my aching chest. "Is that true? Please tell me it's not true!" I looked at Eddie's weak body, the only thing keeping him alive being the tubes and wires stuck to his body. "Please!" I cried. Steve tried to hold me back as I tried to make my way to Eddie.

"Y/n, you need to calm down. Breathe!"

"Tell me he's going to be okay!" I told the doctors, one of them injecting something into Eddie's arm.

"Ma'am you can't be in here." Said one of them. I tried to compose myself, although it was hard. I wiped the tears from my face only for them to be replaced very quickly. I looked at the name tag on the woman's scrubs. "Dr. Lenning." I said, breathing deeply. "Tell me he's going to be okay." I sobbed. "I'll leave. Just tell me he'll be all right."

Dr. Lenning looked between my two eyes, sighing with sadness before replying. "I'm afraid I can not confirm anything with you, ma'am. We'll certainly do our best." She said with a nod. "But from what it looks like. He is very weak. And there is a chance he might not make it."

My heart shattered. It crumbled like a piece of paper and I felt my knees give in. "Steve." I cried out. I felt the shortness of breath coming back.

"Shhh..." He soothed. He held me up in his warm embrace. "Breathe. Breathe. You're okay."
~

"Y/n?" I looked up at the sound of my name, getting pulled out of the memory that had haunted me for the past 48 hours. But I realised that the sound of my name came out of Eddie's own mouth.

My eyes widened immediately and I found myself racing to the side of his bed. My eyes instantly started watering. I couldn't help it.

"Eddie?" I asked. His eyes opened slightly, obviously still weak.

"I'm not dead?" He asked, making a laugh escape from my sobbing mouth.

"No." I held a big smile. "No, you're very much alive."

"Oh." His weak voice sounded tired. "Too bad. I thought it was finally my time."

I almost choked on my own saliva. "Eddie! That's not funny!"

"What? I thought you missed my humor."

He said making me scoff. "I did." I confirmed, leaning my head down, kissing his cheek. "Jackass."

"Just came back from the dead and you're already insulting me." He smiled. "That's my girl." He said, his hand reaching up to cup my face.

"Eddie?" Dustin's voice echoed. "Oh my god, Eddie!" Dusting got up as fast as the speed of light and threw himself into Eddie's embrace.

"Whoa. Go slow, Dustin. He just woke up! Want to kill him for good?" I shot at Dustin. But Dustin's grin didn't falter. It made my heart swell with joy seeing my two boys with smiles on their faces. After everything we had been through, it was needed. And at that second, a part of my heart had been put back together.

THE END.

Hey, so yes. That is the end. I might do an epilogue though, just to finish it off.

I hope I made you cry, smile, laugh, cringe, scream and kick your feet while giggling.

Make sure to check my other stories. I just made a new one which is a Neteyam x reader from avatar the way of water;)
I'm also about to release my Jinx x reader from arcane.

I'm happy you were here from the beginning<3

Love you

- it ain't me.