1| Brooklyn

"Happy Birthday, baby mama. I can't believe you growing up on me," Travis snuck up from behind me as I was going through my locker. I turned around and smiled at the sound of his voice.

"Thank you Travie. Where you been fool? I didn't see you in AP Lit today..." I shut my locker, waiting for his explanation and his flushing red face said it all.

"Let me guess, Marco?" I murmured with a dry expression.

"B, don't make that face. He didn't have classes this morning, so we spent some time together. I don't see any harm in that." Travis argued.

"Yeah, if you say so. It's already February and I really don't want you crying to me in June because you missed too many classes and can't graduate," I sighed as I tried to speak some sense into him about his sudden nonchalant behavior in regards to school. 

"I understand that you guys are in lovers land, but at this point we need to be in focus mode. Have you considered what schools you looking at?" My brows furrowed with inquiry.

'Yes, of course..."

"Ok, and? When did you plan talking about it with me? I thought we were looking at schools together."

"Um, well you know I got the scholarships coming in for basketball so my options pretty deep. Plus, I've been on Southern Cal's campus so many times. It's looking like my top choice," he said with a soft smile on his face.

"I thought you were trying to get out of Cali for college. Why the sudden change?" I asked, while placing my hand on my hip as if I didn't already know the answer to the question.

Travis bit down on his lip before replying to me. "Um, I might've changed my mind. USC will be good for me: I get a free ride, it's a great school, and it doesn't hurt that Marco and Sky go there as well."

I smacked my teeth and shook my head. "You don't hardly care that Sky go there. I know this all has to do with Marco, but don't give too much of yourself and you end up with nothing."

"Not with this lecture again, please stop."

I raised my hands to surrender that I was done trying to advise him. "Whatever. I'm about to go to Izzy house to get ready for my B-day dinner tonight. Do you need a ride home?"

He gandered down at his phone and by the look on his face that it was none other than, Marco. Very convenient.

"Hello? Lover boy, are you there?"

I waved my hands in his face to regain his attention, something that seemed impossible to get these days.

"No, I'm good. I got basketball practice. If I miss it again, Bam gone be on my ass. I'll see you at your dinner later for sure," he said with a convincing grin before pecking my forehead.

"Yeah, whatever. You better not leave me hanging this time, Trav."

"B, I got you. I'll be the first one there with your gift ready to go baby mama. So just chill," he reassured me.

"Ok, fine. I'll see you later then." I said as we parted ways in the hallway.

"Hey. Ms. Zuko may I have a word with you?" The sound of a familiar low voice that I hadn't heard all year caught my attention. I quickly spun around to make sure that I wasn't tripping and it definitely was him.

"Yes, Mr. Mason..."

He made a simple head gesture, signaling that he wanted to go inside the empty classroom beside us. I lead the way in and he followed suit. When we got inside, there was a strong sense of uneasiness that took over my body.