14| Travis

Everything had seemed so perfect and in the blink of an eye, that image was gone. I had been betrayed by someone who I thought was my heart. Boy, was I wrong...It just stung to realize that he was a fraud that used me and my family for his own good.

"Travie, baby boy..." Skylar knocked on the door before barging in like she always did. When we got back to California, she let me crash at her place and it's been tough hearing her remind me of how blind I was.

"I know you hurting, but you can't miss school today too."

I deeply sighed and sat up on the bed, finally taking my eye off of the ceiling. Sky sat on the bed beside me and rubbed my back to comfort me.

"Sooo, have you seen him or contacted since you know..."

My jaw tightened and I simply shook my head. "No, and he better hope the police get to him before I do becaus--"

"Nah, Travie. You better than that. No need to fight him or do anything irrational."

"Whatever. Let's go." I got up and grabbed my backpack from the floor. Sky glanced up and gave me a side eye.

"Uh, so you going to school like that?" she questioned and I just shrugged it off. "I mean damn, at least look presentable."

"Sky, you giving me a ride or no? I'm not in the mood for the sass today."

"Fine." Skylar smacked her teeth and led the way out of the guest bedroom to her car outside.

"Hey, Travie...call me if you need me." Sky assured me as I got out of her car and proceeded into the building.

As expected, I heard a few whispers throughout the halls and it didn't phase me as much I expected. I just didn't appreciate the staring at me too much.

"Mr. Thompson, you're late."

My math teacher wasted no time getting on my nerves when I walked in her classroom and I wasn't here for it. "The bell rang literally five minutes ago..." I barked before sitting in the back.

"Yes, and that means you're five minutes too late so I think you're the perfect candidate to work out this equation on the board for me."

"Mrs. Wall, go somewhere with the bs. Today is the not the day." I snapped just as she was trying to hand me an erasable marker.

"Mr. Thompson, do the problem on the board or step out of my classroom...the choice is yours." I sighed deeply and started to gather my things to leave.

"Cool." I spoke sarcastically with a dry smile and walked out to roam the halls of the school until I reached the basketball court. That was the only place I felt like I could go and at be at peace.

"I figured that you were in here..." I heard Brooklyn's voice before actually turning around to see her walking towards me.

"Yep." I replied dryly.

The awkward silence had filled the gym. This was the first time we had actually spoken since I accused her of being jealous of my fraud of a relationship. "Just say it..." I demanded.

B's brows furrowed in confusion. "Say what, Trav?"

"That you were right, that you told me so. Say it!" I groaned and Brooklyn shook her head.

"My concern isn't whether I'm right or not. My concern is to see if my best friend is ok," she corrected me.

"Let me hold your car." I asked, with my hand out and she at me crazy.

"Trav, you sure want to get back behind the wheel under these circum--"

"Brooklyn, please! I need this," I exclaimed, swallowing my fear.