15| Brooklyn

"Where you going?" My mama asked as she saw me preparing to leave out.

"About to go check on Travis. He's going through a lot right now and I just want to be there for him," she nodded in understanding and signaled for me to sit at the kitchen counter.

"Everything ok mama?" I asked, slightly concerned.

"No, not that I know of. I just wanted to talk to you and see where your head is right now."

"In comparison to Travis having sleaze as a boyfriend and Bam's dad dying as of recently...I'm great. Just taking everything in stride."

She nodded and took a big gulp of her water. "I'm talking about school, B. High school is going to be over for you in exactly 35 days and I haven't heard you mention any colleges you're interested in."

I awkwardly rubbed my neck before speaking because I knew that she wouldn't like what I had to say.

"I don't think that's something I want to do, mama." I finally admitted to her and she sighed deeply, displaying her disappointment.

"Please tell me that you're joking..."

I hesitated before speaking again and shook my head. "No, I'm not. I know you guys had a college fund set aside for me and everything, but I don't think that's for me."

"This isn't about that new boyfriend of yours, is it? I mean, I like him, but if this is his doing then--"

"Mama, stop," I chuckled softly. "This has nothing to do with Isaac. I just have never envisioned college in my future. I've been in school 12 long years, that's sufficient enough. I want to figure this life thing out elsewhere."

My response made her palm her face and shake her head furiously. "Ok, so what's your plan then?"

I froze. "Um, I haven't got that far in the thinking process." I confessed and she cracked a nervous smile.

"Fine. Come back to me when you figure everything out because right now you're making me worry. Gone and get out of here." I got up and kissed my mother's cheek as I left, happy that I escaped a lecture.

*

"Swear it took y'all forever to answer this door," I complained as I walked into Skylar's apartment to see her and Travis laid out on the couch.

"Whatever, so this I hear about you not going to college? Auntie just called me, asking me to talk some sense into you."

I shook my head in irritation. I figured that she'd do something like that.

"What are you doing after high school? You got plans that I don't know about..." Travis broke his silence and studied my face.

"I don't know yet, but I do know that I want to travel and see the world. Just something different..."

They both nodded, not knocking my idea down like I expected my mother to do. "I hear you. Maybe you can talk to Bre about that and y'all can arrange for you to go to Europe for the Summer...just to figure out what you want to do."

"That's a good idea, actually." Travis added.

"I know," Skylar with assured grin and then quickly switched gears. "Anyway, enough about that...How's the cutie? Are y'all official yet?"

I simply smiled before speaking. "Wait! Who y'all talking about?" Travie asked, realizing that he was out of the loop.

"See, this is what happens when y'all not talking...you miss out on the good tea. So apparently, Brooklyn is talking to Izzy's brother and they out here playing kissy face," Skylar teased and I playfully rolled my eyes.