003 - Desire

WARNING: HEAVY SMUT AHEAD !!

The Rainbow room only had a few kids inside. Most of them were individually training with 'Papa' or one of the Orderlies. There was a girl, who looked no older than 15, that sat alone at the chess table, deep in thought. She was Asian with tan skin and a black buzz cut. I remembered her, from when I was still one of the test subjects. She was only about six when I had last seen her. Her thin body slumped over the table, moving the chess pieces with her mind.

"You know, you can always move them with your hands. You don't want to drain your energy before training," I say, walking up to her. I sit on the other side of the board.

"I don't let out that easily," she sighs, with a slight grin. She was really pretty, even without her hair. Her wrist had the number '004'.

"So... Four. Missing your friends in training?"

"I don't have friends here, everyone here is either a toddler or a massive douche."

My face must have shown my shock, from the way she laughed.

"They stole me when I was 5. I still know how to talk, unlike the little ones around here." she glances at the kids sitting on the floor, moving toy cars around. She was right, most of the younger ones had no memory of their life before the lab, since they probably were taken moments after they were born.

"And Bre-... 'Papa'... knows that you have memory of the outside world?" She grimaced when I mouthed the word everyone called my father.

"I barely ever speak around that old fart. Last time I said anything out of line, they'd taken me to 'the closet.'"

I knew what she meant. As a punishment, misbehaved children were locked inside a tight, small room. They'd leave them there for hours, sometimes days, or even weeks.

"So why are you talking to me like this? Aren't you afraid I'd tell... Papa?"

She shook her head, still focused on the board.

"You were a prisoner here once, too."

I struggled to hide my surprise. No one, not even 002 or 003 had remembered me, even though they were old enough to. My father had put "blocks" in their memories of me, so that they wouldn't question it when I had become an Orderly. She glances up at me, then back down at the chess pieces.

"I was always jealous that you didn't get a number, or that you got to leave. I always dreamed of the outside world. I wanted to go out shopping, eat ice cream, or go on dates, like they do in the books. I'm probably one of the only ones that have a brain of my own."

I nod slowly, understanding every word. I, too, wanted a life outside of this sad lab. I wanted a boyfriend, friends, a house. I wanted to go to college and get a job. It was so unfair.

"You know, it's funny that I'm Four. My mom would go nuts if she knew that that's what they call me here. It's an unlucky number in my family."

"What were you called... before this place?"

She furrowed her brows, her eyes lost in thought.

"I wish I could remember. I hope it was something pretty, though."

I smile, happy that not all the kids here were brainwashed, but I felt bad. My father had stolen all of these innocent children's lives, all for some stupid experiment.

"You look like you'd have a pretty name."

Her face lits up for the first time. Her smile seems genuine this time, and her eyes sparkle. It warmed my heart to see her like that, even though I've only met her a couple minutes ago. What is with my attachment to people I just met?