008 - Found

Hawkins, Indiana. 8 Years ago.

Dr. Martin Brenner was a known scientist in the small town of Hawkins. His discoveries and awards alone made him stand out soon after founding the National Hawkins Laboratory, which was government classified. He always stood tall and confident, swallowing in all of his success, but what Hawkins didn't know was what he had under his mask.

His late wife, who had died in childbirth, bore only one child that wasn't even his own. Nevertheless, his love for his daughter had not reflected that. She was his only family, his pride and joy. He supported her in all of her passions, even as a small ten-year-old child who thought only of magical fantasies, books, and animals. She was a smart girl for her age, and recieved a great education at a prestigious elementary school.

Martin was always enthusiastic when it came to enlightening his child, as to how he had always read her a story before bed to her request.

"And the young maiden held her bloodshed lover in her arms as his wounds healed to her touch, bringing life to the man's grey eyes," Brenner read before closing the book.

"That's it?" Josephine asked as she loosened her embrace on her stuffed bear.

"No, but I think that that's enough for tonight. I don't even know why I'm reading you a Romance-Fantasy at your age," he chuckled as he straightened his greying brown hair. His daughter sighed and laid down on her pink covers.

"Will I ever have a lover or boyfriend like that?"

"Maybe, someday when you're old enough," Brenner said as he moved the chair from beside the bed back to her desk. "Although it would break my heart to see my daughter run into another man's arms." He laughs softly and turns off the lavish lamp beside her bed.

"Good night, daddy," she called to her father.

"Good night, sweetheart."

He closed the door softly and headed to his room when the phone downstairs began to ring. He hustled down the stairs to the hallway where the ringing telephone shook.

"Hello, this is Dr. Martin Brenner speaking," he said as he put the receiver to his face.

"Mart?"

It was Virginia Creel. Brenner's highschool sweetheart, who was now forcefully married to Victor Creel. She and Martin had always had a sweet tooth for each other, but they haven't seen each other ever since Brenner met his wife and had a child together. Of course, after his wife's death, he'd gone to Virginia to have a shoulder to cry on. He had been around even after Henry and Alice were born while Victor was off at war.

"Gin- Virginia. What a surprise, I haven't heard your voice in years," he said in a nonchalant tone, hiding the excitement he felt.

"Oh Mart, I've missed you," Virginia-- his Ginny-- sighed.

"How did you find my phone," he responded sharply.

"It was in the paper, it seems that you've gotten your fame. I always knew you'd be a success."

"What is it that you want, Virginia? Do you not have a husband and children to take care of?"

He knew he was being harsh, but he was one to hold grudges. Virginia had left him for a richer man who could support a family even without being home. On the other hand, Brenner had grown up less fortunate, only finding wealth after graduating from one of the most successful medical schools and starting to work with the government.

"I'm afraid that's why I've been trying to reach you, Mart. My son, Henry, do you remember him? He's only a couple years older than your daughter."

Brenner did in fact remember Henry Creel. He'd seen him when he was a mere infant, although he was different from the rest. He never cried, and he never laughed or cooed like a normal baby.