005 - Secrets

Hawkins Lab, 7 years ago.

Sounds of dogs barking echoed in the distance. The wind battered against the rigid one-sided windows, creating thuds in Brenner's office. His pen tapped against the parchment he was wrighting on as his mind worked its gears. His thumb pressed against his lip as he pondered the possibilities of his plan. One was already powerful enough; he was the future of the Hawkins Lab Experiments. His daughter, on the other hand, was weak. Useless. She couldn't even lift a block off the floor without passing out.

Brenner figured that he needed more subjects. More proof of his extraordinary discovery. If he had younger subjects, maybe they'd adapt to the powers more easily. He began writing his ideas onto the parchment and opened a drawer to reveal the stash of photos of possible subjects.

George Sattler. Christian Heath. Jenny Ko. Marylin Schaeffer.

The list went on, from oldest to youngest. He figured that The first four would be first subjects to the experiment. They were all going to go to foster homes anyway. One child, the oldest, was a victim of abuse, his parents being sent off to jail. The little black-asian girl had parents of debt and missing immigration files. All of the children had no future, Brenner assumed.

He sorted all of the children into files, labeling them with numbers. 002, 003, 004, 005. He smiled to himself, fantasizing of his future successes to the experiment.

His thoughts were interrupted by the blaring noise of alarms as the hallways were flashing red. He stood from his seat and opened the glass door of his office, confused. Something was wrong.

There were no guards or Orderlies in the hallway. He was alone.

Or so he thought.

He ran through the halls, his eyes stinging from the sudden flashing. He approached the double doors of the rainbow room, finding both of the guards in front unconscious. The man didn't have time to check if they were alive, but he knew who was behind it.

One.

His shaking hands pulled the metal bars and hurried inside, shutting the door behind him. He turnd to see the one he had feared most standing before him, his back turned to him. The boy was lifting an Orderly in the air. The groans and choking sounds of the Orderly filled the room.

He had to be stopped.

Brenner reached for the belt pocket of another unconscious guard lying next to him, his hands grasping a baton. He quietly pulled it out of the corpse's belt, making sure to be undetected. His feet staggered toward the boy, his arms raised to attack.

Suddenly he hears an ear piercing scream as he flies backwards, the pressure nearly breaking his bones. His back slides down the wall, cracks falling in him. He opens his eyes, expecting to see anyone but his own daughter standing in front of him, her arm extended towards him.

The boy on the other side of the room turned his head, dropping the struggling man to the ground. His face shows hints of surprise as well as pride as he stares at the girl that he had secretly trained. She had blood running down both her nostrils, and she was shaking like a cat in rain. Her eyes falter and she falls to the ground unconscious.

----------------------------------------

Present day

Five.

Four.

Three.

Two.

One.

My hands grasped the metal bars and pushed forward. My eyes met an empty room with only the two people I'd least expected to see.

Peter's sunken eyes glanced up at me, his head visible from behind my father. His face was lowered, but his posture was the same as always: his hands politely clasped in front of him, his back straight.  It was weird, since it was the first time actually seeing him (aside from in dreams) ever since... that night. Brenner followed Peter's glance and turned his head to meet my stare.