006 - Bond

A/N: I recommend listening to the song "apocalypse" for the first part bc I feel like it just matches the vibe of the first half of the chapter, idk why (partially because I was listening to it while I wrote this)

Anyways, hope you guys enjoy this long chapter :)

My eyes fluttered open to find darkness once again. A familiar ceiling faced me, but it was different. There was no camera in the corner, neither was there a pillow case covering one. I sat up to see a room nearly identical to mine. Instead of a basket with a heap of clothes in, there was a neat stack against the wall, next to a closed, polished wardrobe. I was still wearing my day uniform, which was weird since I always wore a gown to sleep. The clock read a blurry set of digits that I leaned closer to see.

1:21 AM.

I looked around once again, taking in my surroundings. I saw a ray of light coming from the bathroom door, which was left ajar.

This wasn't my room.

I moved over to the other side of the bed, getting a different angle of the bathroom. My mouth nearly let out a gasp as I saw Peter standing in front of the bathroom mirror, his bare back facing me. There were bruises on the side of his waist, where he seemed to be bleeding. He held a cloth wrap, which looked as if it were supposed to be white but had been stained with dried blood.

My eyes traced upwards to his hair, which was no longer in the neat curls he had always combed to perfection. I stared at the reflection of his face, which looked worn and haggard. There were obvious burn marks on the side of his neck, which I assumed to be from the tasers he had endured nights before. He seemed to be staring at the cloth in his left hand-- no-- his wrist. There was something on his left wrist, something that he must have loathed so much with the way he was glaring into it.

I stepped closer, trying to get a better look. I jumped when he snapped his neck towards me, my feet just at the bathroom door.

"You're awake."

"No, I'm actually dead and you're seeing a ghost of me haunting you," I woo sarcastically. I deflate when he merely stares at me, not cracking a smile.

My eyes trail back at his wrist, which he now covered with the stained cloth. So maybe it wasn't anything after all.

"Gosh, you're bleeding."

I cover my mouth when I eye the crimson on his waist. It was like something had beaten him with so much force, enough to break through his skin but not his bones.

"I hadn't noticed." His voice was low and monotonous, but it had the hints of sarcasm I had hit him with.

He turns around, finally facing his whole body towards me. He wore the same uniform pants he had every day, except he had taken off his belt. I try not to stare at his body, which was in perfect shape, just thinner than it had been before. He threw on his shirt, letting it hang loosely on his body without buttoning it.

"Why am I in your room?"

"You don't remember? You'd passed out in the Rainbow Room during your lunch break."

I thought back. I recalled when Peter had rushed to my side as soon as he heard me scream. He'd wrapped his arms tightly around me, even with all his wounds.

"You'd pushed yourself overboard when you used your powers."

Powers?

The fallen chess piece came across my mind. It had been the last thing I'd seen before I passed out. But it had flown to the other side of the room, which was impossible, since Peter's hand had not moved.