A2 - A Beginning

Hawkins National Laboratory
Two years ago, 1980

It was nearly the middle of the night. Everything seemed soundless -- that is, except for one particular room.

A blonde man in white stepped out of the small broom closet, making sure the door shut quietly. He adjusted his belt as sweat glistened in the dim fluorescent lights. His scalp ached from the constant pulling of his curls, which were now disheveled and out of place. It was almost a routine. He'd leave first. Scout the halls. Double tap the window of the door if it was clear. He'd then begin his duty, his night shift.

He'd been here many times before, yet his heart never stopped racing. He was breaking a rule. He should be punished. The excitement of breaking through the bars, even if it meant leaving only a dent, had gotten to him.

Intimacy was considered taboo within these pristine white walls; no coworker was allowed to befriend, let alone have sexual relations with another. He should feel lucky to have Brenner turn a blind eye on him, if it meant keeping him distracted. And it did.

But it wasn't simply the pleasure. Or the lawlessness. Sure, part of it kept his mind off things, his "situation". Though, he didn't have to even do much. He'd built up somewhat of a reputation. He knew he was attractive, but there was something about him that made him seem like a secret, a risk. The other workers wanted that. They wanted to feel like they had something of their own, something no one else could know or have. And he gave them that. But everything he did was calculated; he'd never let his guard down, even for a second.

Everything happened for a reason.

He slipped the small card out of his pocket. It would give him access to the other floors, but not an exit.

He smiled to himself as he walked down those halls, card in hand. It was almost too easy.

He had everyone in that building wrapped around his finger, whether they knew it or not. Well, almost everyone.

It had been five years since he'd last seen her, five years since he'd failed her. And now, because of him, she was trapped.

What if he never saw her again?

What if he dies in this very building, this prison, thinking, knowing he was the reason she'd never get out?

The thoughts haunted him as hands started to sting from the tight grip on the card.

He was going to see her. He was going to break her free, even if it was the last thing he'd do.

So uh..

Hi

This was a short chapter, since it's just to build up some stuff for the next one (and I also needed to let y'all know I'm still alive)

I'm so sorry for keeping y'all waiting- ik I said I'd update in December, but I SWEAARR chapter 018 is in the works right now. I'm trying to fill in some plot holes I found (which is so hard like wtf) and so far I'm like halfway done.

So pleasee trust me and I shall deliver as promised (I love you guys)

Thank you for being patient with me, and I know some of y'all probably forgot about this book (I don't blame you, so did I) but it means the world to me that you've stayed so far.

(follow the tiktok for more updates)