Chapter Forty-One

One Year Later

"What happened?!"

I ran towards Vale who was waiting in the waiting area. "Where's.. where's Ena? Where.. what happened?"

"She's stable, she hasn't woken up yet." Vale let out a huge breath as he clasped his hands together over his head. "I.. I don't know. Hindi ko alam buong kwento."

"What the hell.." tears were already forming in my eyes. "Does Raffy know? Mage? Her dad? Her aunt?"

He nodded. "Mage knows. Si Raffy.. hindi pa."

"Why haven't you told Raffy?" tanong ko. "We need to tell her. Are you insane? Raffy doesn't know pa the pregnancy. Tapos we're gonna keep this from her pa?"

"She's awake," anang isang doktor. Napalingon kaagad ako sa pamilyar na boses at nagulat nung nakita ko ang tatay ni Z. I haven't seen his family in.. forever. "She might feel some fuzziness and might not remember everything but.. I think it's best if I examine her first before she finds out."

"Finds out what?" tanong ko.

Vale let out a breath and placed his hands in his pockets. "Lia.."

"What? What happened?" Kunot noo kong tanong. "Ena is alive, right?"

"Oo pero.." nag-buntong hininga si Vale at tumingin kay Tito. "The baby.. it didn't make it."

For the first time in a long time, I was at a loss for words. My heart was completely breaking for Selena. I know she never planned for this to happen but.. I also know that she wanted to keep it. I know that she and Ezra already had plans for their future.

"There must be some kind of mistake, Tito." I let out a laugh. "That can't.. no.."

"I'm sorry." He sighed. "I'm not even supposed to be telling you two this since you're not family.."

"We are." I crossed my arms. "Mas pamilya pa kami kaysa sa mga taong nakakasama niya araw-araw sa bahay."

"Lia." Vale's voice was tired. He looked at the doctor and sighed once again. "Tito, pwede ba namin siya makita?"

He nodded. "I'll just examine her and I'll come back to give you guys a go sign."

"Thank you po." Tumango si Vale at umupo ulit.

I sat back down, wiping away my tears. We both sat there in silence, not knowing what else was there to say. One of our best friends almost died. She lost.. a baby. And we don't know what else we can do to help out.

After what seemed like forever, bumalik na yung papa ni Z at nag-tanggal ng salamin bago kami tumayo.

"She immediately asked what happened," aniya. "I've updated her with her condition and informed her that her other friends are safe. I've also informed her regarding.."

Tahimik na umikot si Vale at tumingin na lamang sa kisame.

Tumango ako. "Thank you po.. Tito."

"Lia, it's nice seeing you. I wish it weren't under unfortunate circumstances, but it's nice seeing you after a long time."

I gave Tito a small smile. "Kayo rin po."

"You guys can see her now. Vale, alam mo naman na yung room niya."

Vale nodded. "Salamat po, Tito."

I gave Vale a quick glance as we walked. The worry on his face was evident. I know he cares the same way for all of us. He's been a kuya all his life to his siblings, and he's sort of like our big protector now, too.