chapter thirteen

Lizzie's POV

Lizzie's POV

When did life get so cold?

Today was the day October truly became October. The sun was still out, but it gave you no warmth against the chilly breeze. The light smell of cinnamon lingered in the air almost everywhere, and the buzz of autumn excitement played like a song in the back of every conversation.

Just yesterday felt like summer.

It's safe to say I am not at all appropriately dressed for the crisp weather. My black knee-high socks still leave my thighs cold, and even though my skirt is so cute I might cry, the combination of it and my lacy tank doesn't cover much skin.

Goosebumps litter my body almost like permanent scars, and the chill up my neck seems to have been there all freaking day.

My luck seems to be worse than my hearing, since the AC was still on full blast in the computer lab today. I settle into my seat with a shiver, pushing my bangs to the sides and out of my eyes as I log into what I believe is the best computer in this room.

Her name is Emmaline, and she has the best connection to the school wifi.

Seconds later, I flinch in surprise at the sound of a chair scraping the floor next to me as it's pulled back. Moments later, a tall figure settles into the seat, and sweet mama.

I'm really not sure how long it'll take to get used to Ryland's good looks. His features are mostly soft, but his jawline is defined in a way that has me wondering what it'd feel like to run my finger on it.

One of the best parts of him is probably his smile. His cheekbones look marvelous, and he turns rosy and pretty with the way he ducks his head.

He does exactly that now, and his light olive eyes hit me like a freight train.

The contrast of his sharp eyes with his otherwise delicate features had two ways of working; a hit or a miss.

In his case, it's most definitely a hit. It's a smash. It's a whole trucking knockout.

"Hi." A low mumble makes its way through the air and to my ears, sending a different type of chill up my spine. This one's fast and exciting, almost pleasurable.

I stare at him a few moments more before truly registering the greeting, but once I do, a furious blush overtakes my cheeks as I realize I was just staring at him like a creep.

Inhaling a quick breath, I greet him back much too quickly to seem normal.

Trooper. Trooper. Trooper.

"I didn't hear you come in." I consciously slow my words down, finding a casual flow in conversation.

"I wasn't too far behind you." He answers, and I feel his eyes on the side of my head.