🔋The What?🔋

I felt my body slowly wake up, my fingers twitching as a loud ring pierced my ears. My heavy eyes slowly opened. It wasn't long for me to realize that I was in the Medbay area of The Invincible II.

I felt myself attached to medical equipment. My uniform felt different as well. I turned to my side to notice a person already standing there.

Dr. Linda Russo was a nurse of the invincible, and stood beside me as I slowly began to wake up.

(YES! I added a The Edge of Sleep reference to this story. If you haven't listen to it, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. plus Mark plays the main character 😉. Okay back to the story)

"Hey Captain." She said soothingly. "How do you feel?"

I grunted loudly as I stood up from the bed.
"What the hell happened?" I asked.

"Honestly, I don't know. But Mark told us that you were dazed and scared. And then you had a nosebleed and passed out. As far as I know, you might've just had a seizure or panic attack or something like that." She said.

"But the only thing that matters is that you're alive. Do you feel better?"

I nodded but sighing out, "yeah."

The Medbay door opened and Mark quickly entered. His eyes widened when he saw me.

"Oh Captain! Thank god!" Mark cried as he walked towards me.

"Are you okay?"
He asked.

"Yeah, yeah I'm good!" I wrapped my arms around Mark and pulling him close for a hug. Mark didn't hesitate to hug back.

For a moment of silence, Linda began to remove the medical equipment I was attached too.
"Do you think you can walk?"

I didn't even answer, I moved to the side of the bed and attempted to stand up, my legs were still numb but I managed to stand up straight, thanks to Mark and Linda holding me up.

I was limping a bit as well but I didn't mind that.

We left the room as I heard Mark thank Nurse Russo. We made our way to the bridge, I became less and less numb.

We were met by Celci and Bert already there.
"Captain is alive!" Bert cheered.

"Are you okay?" Celci asked.

"Never better."

"Good" Celci sighed. "Can't imagine what would've happened if we lost you."

Celci left the bridge as Bert check the technology pads on the wall.

"We can wait for while before we can head back to the planet if you'd like. Just to make sure you fully heal." Mark said.

I just nodded.

After a moment of silence, Mark turned towards Bert.

"Hey Bert, when you get a minute, check if the Warp Core is still running, would ya?"

"Got it." He responded.

I suddenly felt my stomach sink as soon as I heard Mark speak. My heart pounded out of my chest, I was praying that what he just said was just in my head.

"T- The What?!" I said loudly.

Bert was confused as Mark froze in fear. "The Warp Core?" He said calmly.

I began breathing heavily as I could hear my own heartbeat. No...
No... it wasn't back!
I destroyed it!
I thought...

"Captain? Are you sure you-"

I didn't even give him time to speak. Without warning, I rushed out of the room and down the hallway, towards the center of the ship.

"Captain! Where are you going?! Captain!" Mark yelled out.

I ran faster, bumping into colonists in the ship along the way, even accidentally running into Celci.
But I quickly ran pasted her, leaving her dazed and confused.

"Captain! Wait!" I heard Mark still yelling.

The entire time I was focused on the Warp Core, begging that it was just a mind figment.
I remember it exploding last time we encountered it. But if what Mark said was true, it means that it is still active at the core of the ship.

I still heard Marking calling for me from behind. I still didn't turn around. I rushed down the warp core hallway, nearly tripping to the floor.

I picked myself back up and used the door's hand scanner for it to open.

As soon as the door opened, I got a full view of the warp core, without a scratch, still active and running. The noises of its power echoed in my head as I suddenly felt nauseous again. I felt like I was going to throw up.

Why?
Why is it back?
It was destroyed!
Did the explosion somehow bring it back?
This doesn't make any sense.
After everything went back to normal, the warp core was gone. I remember.
So why?
Why is it back?!

The footsteps behind me became louder as Mark slowed down his running, out of breath.
He stopped and kneeled down beside me.

"C- Captain! What the hell is wrong with you?" He stuttered through his words.

I still didn't respond, my eyes were locked on the Warp Core. Mark stood in front of me and shook me out of my daze.

"Captain! Talk to me! What is going on?" Mark said.

I tried to breath for a moment before responding, I didn't even know what to say. I don't even think Mark remembers about what happened last time with this thing.

"Mark I-... this was-" I couldn't stop stuttering. "This thing was destroyed! We destroyed it and-"

I almost fell to the floor again but Mark pulled me up. "Hey! It's okay!" He said. "You might just still be nauseous from your fall."

I shook my head. "No! Mark y-"

"We should let you rest for today, I can take over your tasks if you want."

I still couldn't speak. My head was hurting the more I talked.
Eventually I just gave in, no one's gonna believe me anyway. Mark wrapped my arm around his neck and carried me down the Warp Core. Before we could even start walking, an alarm blared out.

The lights flashed red as Mark and I froze in our place.

"Warning! Invader Onboard! Warning! Invader Onboard!"