I'm Wide Awake

You walk through double doors with your head low, slow and sullen as you stare down at the pavement under your shoes. With your hands stuffed in your pockets and a frown etched into your face, you make your way to the car parked outside. When Eddie sees you from his spot leaning against your car, he stands straighter and uncrosses his arms. "Oh, come on," he says as he watches you approach, taking a couple steps closer. "What happened?"

You stand in front of him, your face fallen as you kick at the ground. His shoulders slump at the sight of you, "They're idiots for not taking you. You know what? I'll go in there right now and tell it to their stupid faces."

You shake your head, putting your hand on his chest and gently shoving him back. "Don't bother, it's not worth it," you mumble, a slow smile creeping on your face as you look at him. "Because I got the job!"

Eddie's face immediately lights up as he sees the large grin on your face, opening his arms and welcoming you in them. "I knew it! Never doubted you for a second," he exclaims as he pulls you into a tight hug, his arms around your head pulling your face into him. You don't mind. "God, I hate that stupid act." He mumbles the last bit into your hair, making you chuckle at him.

Eddie holds you a little bit too long, but you don't find yourself objecting for even a moment. You even hold him tighter, bringing him in a little closer as you bury your face in his chest. He welcomes it, his head resting on top of yours as he lets out a long contented sigh.

It's only when you both realize that it's been a little too long that you finally make a move to step away, albeit a reluctant one. You clear your throat and ignore the slight awkwardness in the air as you speak, "You promised me a party."

He smiles wide, rounding the car to the passenger's seat to let you in, "And I never disappoint."

The smile you return is just as mischievous as his as the both of you get in the car. He picks up the walkie-talkie in your car — one that the kids you practically babysat half the time gave to you and Eddie months ago when they met you. "Hey, you little shitheads, you there?"

After a moment, Dustin's voice breaks through in slight static. "Yeah, we're here. What's up? Over."

"You remember that party I mentioned?" Eddie asks, his eyes never leaving you as he speaks.

"Yeah," he says after a moment. He adds onto the end, "And please say 'over' at the end so that I know you're done speaking. It's not that hard, people. Over."

Eddie rolls his eyes at the machine, shaking it in his grip, "Well, the party's on, so get the other guys... Over." The last word is said with fake venom, another roll of his eyes discarded to the side before he looks back at you.

"Thank you," Dustin sighs dramatically. "And no problemo. I'll tell the others, when do you want us? Over." Eddie turns to you in question and you just shrug. He and Dustin figure out the rest of the plan while you comment in the background, and Eddie drives you both back to your place.

You demand Eddie to bake a cake from scratch with you and, because he can never say no to you, he agrees. Since neither of you can really cook anything outside of a pot of Chef Boyardee, he is a little reluctant to agree. But, again, he can never say no to you... especially when you look at him with that specific look — eyes wide and pleading, bottom lip jutted out, hands clasped together as you stare at him. He swears you're a little witch with how easily you can persuade him.

With one of Eddie's tapes playing loudly through the stereo and your parents away on a day trip, the both of you skip around the kitchen with one of your mother's cookbooks. Your rings are discarded safely while you work — you basically had to fight Eddie to take them off so they didn't become gross while you handled the food.