The Honor Roll (pt. 3)*

"Y/N Y/L/N."

Your head perks up as you hear your name called. You turn to Eddie, who is standing with an encouraging smile on his face. You place a hand on his arm, squeezing gently and he gives a quick nod.

"'Kay," you smile. "Wish me luck."

"You don't need it," he tells you. You roll your eyes and turn toward the curtain before taking a step out.

The sun shines down on your face—a wonderful day to walk the stage. You smooth your hands down your robe as you walk, a large smile on your face that makes your cheeks ache as an eruption of cheers circles the Hawkins stadium (a small patch of land that interchanges sports and training setups, even though there are hardly any other sports than basketball at the school).

You walk up to Principal Higgins, who smiles proudly at you as you approach. He is holding your diploma in his hands, passing it on to you as you close the distance and take his free hand in a shake. Flashes of cameras catch your eye from two separate areas in the audience. One comes from the tiny group of your two siblings and parents. They smile and clap. The other bright, continuous flashes come from the rather large group of friends you have collected over the past year. You can single their cheers out from the entirety of the school's applause, and it creates a special feeling in your chest.

Higgins leans close to where you can hear him a smile, "Congratulations."

You give him a polite nod before you cross the stage, keeping a steady pace in your long trek across. Once you are on the other side, you are greeted by a very excited Robin Buckley and a gently excited Jonathan Byers.

She takes your hands, clasping them as soon as you are close enough. She pulls you into a hug and smiles brightly before pulling away just as quick to scrunch her nose in an excited manner. "We did it! We finally did it, we're out!"

You and Jonathan are much calmer than she is as she hops slightly where she's perched, offering kind and familiar looks and nods, a silent congratulations. "We made it," you respond with a level of excitement that doesn't seem to match her but is fully intended to.

Suddenly, a light bulb moment goes off in your brain like alarm bells ringing in a jovial melody. You stare at Robin's freckled face and pull her in for another, tighter hug. "Buckley, you're a genius!"

"Apparently!" she giggles. "I graduated high school." You chuckle happily at her giddiness and begin to wait for the rest of the names to be called out.

Eventually, you hear Eddie's name being announced, almost disappointedly. But Eddie seems anything but. He walks onto the stage, strutting down it like a man who's just won the greatest victory of his life—for Eddie, it was.

You watch as he eases to the center of the stage where Principal Higgins is standing impatiently. Eddie's un-ringed middle finger flips the principal of Hawkins High off, a large smile plastered on his face that makes him look so, so handsome. The principal huffs at the blatant disrespect, but you and Robin just snicker to yourselves at Eddie's...Eddie-ness.

He snatches the diploma out of Higgins' hand, and, instead of walking off to meet you, he struts to the end of the stage and makes a widely-stanced pose with his arms out to his sides and his chin tilted up. Some of the audience blow raspberries and scoff, others yell for him to get off stage, but no one is as loud as his squad of supporters who scream and cheer for their friend's great conquest. You hear the screeching voice of Dustin Henderson chanting, "Munson! Munson! Munson! Munson!"

Most of the group joins in, offering their unyielding support even after he finally leaves the stage after throwing up the sign of the horns in a proud display of triumph. Jonathan and Robin whoop along with the noise, and you just smile and laugh proudly as you clap. He meets you on the other side, taking you in his arms and twirling you around in a circle, uncaring of the eyes that glue onto the both of you at the outward display of affection that no one expected.