The Honor Roll

The night air of Hawkins seems stiller under the bridge. Calm, peaceful. Eddie's steps are faint under the concrete, despite the heavy combat boots on his feet

He flicks his cigarette to the ground, stepping on it as he walks. When he finally reaches the other side of the bridge, he looks around with swinging arms in search of the person he is supposed to be meeting with.

He hears a thud behind him and turns around swiftly. He sees someone's form slowly stand to their feet, a masquerade ball bask on their faces shielding their identity. Eddie whistles, taking in the dramatic entrance with a smile.

The person — a woman, from what he could tell — tilts her head. The mask, which swirls with black and gold, does not cover her face and allows Eddie to see the smile that spreads across her lips. She reaches up and pulls the mask over her head, smiling at Eddie with a slight chuckle.

"Munson," she says, a mix of a question and a statement.

Eddie's grin spreads wide over his face. He raises a finger, pointing it briefly in her direction. "Woah... Y/N Y/L/N, Hawkins's star pupil."

You chuckle again, shaking your head. "Eddie Munson, Hawkins's freak."

He spreads his arms out wide to present himself, "The one and only." He drops his arms and just shakes his head again, disbelief as he takes you in. "Damn... what a sight. You take your mask off for everyone?"

"Hell, no. How do you think I remain the star student? No, I just have a feeling you won't go running your mouth," you tell him, walking past him as you lean against the concrete wall.

He slides his pinched fingers over his mouth: "my lips are sealed".

"So," you start, running a hand through your hair. "You my customer?"

He crosses his arms over his chest, "I don't know. You sell?"

You smirk, shrugging a shoulder. You open your coat. It's a big coat — one with probably a million pockets — that sags on your shoulders. "I smoke and sell, babes."

Babes. It's an affectionate name. The equivalent of when a mother calls someone "sweetie" or "honey", but far more endearing. Eddie smiles.

"Wow," he astonishes. "Learn something new every day, huh?"

"Guess so," you breathe. Your eyes look him up and down and he can see what you mean now by "you smoke". As he takes a step closer, he can see your face more clearly in the night.

Your eyes are slightly dazed, unfocused pupils watching him move. You're attentive, far more than you should be. Like you're used to being high.

Maybe you are.

"What are you having?" you ask, fingering the zippers of your many pockets. Eddie makes his requests, fishing in his jacket pocket for his cash.

When he hands you the amount, you shake your head as you take it, handing him back some of the money with a wink. "Discount, just 'cause I like you."

He beams at you and stuffs his things in his pockets. "So how long have you been dealing?" he asks, hunched over as he puts the extra cash in his back pocket.

You suck a breath in through your teeth, straightening out and fixing your jacket. "Ooh, unfortunately," you say with a regrettable smile, "you'll have to ask me next time." You roll your eyes with a heavy sigh, "I've got to go to this stupid jock party, and I'm not quite high enough for it yet."

"Amen to that," Eddie breathed with a smirk. He steps back, almost like he's going to stumble. You quickly find that it's just the way he moves. You like it.