Chapter Three

Chapter Three
Ugly Girl

(Nobody's Pov!)

     Mackenzie stood in front of the giant mansion with large white pillars and grey brick walls. The gold trim on the house was the perfect finishing touch. The large brick wall and tall golden gate that kept her out made her feel intimidated. She took a deep breath and walked towards the gate, the body guards stepping aside.

    They had already done multiple background checks on her before agreeing to allow her to interview Philip and Hannah.

"Welcome to your temporary home, Miss Kappen." The bodyguard spoke. "Thank you." Mackenzie said, giving a kind smile. The guard was taken aback by her kindness. It was rare to get a thank you here. He was simply doing what he was told.

     They walked Mackenzie up to the front door and opened the double doors. Mackenzie gasped at the bright shining lights. The giant golden crystal chandelier hung in the middle of the room, just outside of the coat room. That's where a long red carpet ran all the way up to the grand staircase. The walls were covered with expensive art pieces as well as pictures of family members.

    "It's beautiful." Mackenzie spoke, slowly walking into the room with the grand staircase. She spun slowly around in a circle, taking in the beauty of the room.

"I've never seen anything as beautiful." Mackenzie muttered. "Wait right here, I'll get Mr. Barston." The bodyguard spoke, smiling at Mackenzie. She nodded and continued looking around the room.

"Welcome, Miss Kappen! It's an honor to have you here. We've heard a lot about your company!" William Barston spoke, walking into the room. His arms wide open as he walked forwards. He clapped his hands together and looked at Mackenzie.

    Mackenzie eyed the man for a moment before shaking her head. He was extremely muscular and tall for an old man. His hair was nicely frayed and slicked back. It was perfectly combed too! He has intimidating blue eyes that pierced into Mackenzie, but they also seemed kind. He wore a very fancy suit as well.

"Meet my grandson! Philip Barston! He's the one you'll be interviewing." William spoke, stepping aside, revealing his grandson. Mackenzie gasped, her eyes widening as she immediately recognized him.

"You're the man from the club!" Mackenzie said, causing Philip to chuckle. "I'm surprised to see you." Philip spoke.

"I figured that shooting scared you off." Philip spoke, walking forwards, his hands in his pockets. "You two have met before?" William asked.

"Yep, this is the little lady that saved me." Philip spoke, looking over his shoulder at his grandfather. "Well! This is even better! You saved my grandson! He can be awfully stupid and risky at times! I'm so grateful!" William spoke, rushing over and hugging Mackenzie tightly.

"He's the only family I've got left. I can't bare to lose him." William spoke, letting go of Mackenzie.

"Oh it's truly nothing! I couldn't just leave him to be killed! I'd never just leave someone in danger.." Mackenzie said, her cheeks flushed. She was very flustered! This large powerful man who was said to be a terrifying, horrible man just hugged her and thanked her!

"Thank you." Philip spoke, grabbing her hand gently. He pressed a his lips to her hand and looked up at her. He let go of her soft gentle hand and smirked.

"Allow me to show you to your bedroom." Philip spoke, holding his hand out for her to grab. "Oh! Yes of course! Thank you!" Mackenzie said, turning to grab her bag, but the bodyguards had already lifted it up.