Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven
Celebration or Mourning

(Nobody's Pov!)

Bright and early the next day a large funeral was held for the great William Barston! Despite the cost, Philip organized a beautiful funeral for his grandfather, with the help of Mackenzie of course. Philip and Mackenzie both entered the courtyard where the funeral was taking place. The hundreds of people turned and frowned seeing the grandson of the deceased.

Philip wore a simple black suit and for once a tie. He didn't like wearing one unless it was for an important occasion. He actually looked mature and proper instead of a kid just trying to incorporate his own style into it.

Mackenzie wore a tight black dress that ended a little ways below her knees. She was also wearing simple black heels. Fancy didn't matter in this moment, but of course the media would be all over this.

Surely seeing Mackenzie and Philip together would sure make quite the scandal, especially after he had just called off his own engagement. Philip saw the bright flashing lights of cameras taking pictures, just outside of the large gates he had installed to keep them out. He closed his eyes and clenched his jaw, trying to keep his mouth shut for one day. This day was for his grandfather. Mackenzie noticed his behavior and gently grabbed his hand, lacing their fingers. Philip quietly gasped at the sudden softness of her hand. He looked up and stared at her for a moment before she gave him a reassuring hand squeeze.

Philip took a deep breath and walked up to the casket with Mackenzie at his side. He stared down at his grandfather with sorrowful eyes. Philip let go of Mackenzie's hand and slowly reached up, grabbing onto his grandfather's hand. Philip quietly gasped at the coldness of his grandfather's hand. He flashed back to how he held his grandfather's hand in bed, even then he thought his grandfather's hands were cold, but this was a whole different type of cold.

Mackenzie stared at William with a sad expression. She was so thankful that he came to save her, but she couldn't help, but feel as though it was her fault. Did William use his last bit of strength to save her life? She glanced over at Philip who had a traumatized facial expression. She watched as he held tightly to his grandfather's cold hand. Reality was finally setting in and Philip was realizing that William Barston was no more.

That's when a squeaky voice spoke out behind Mackenzie. "We'd like to say our goodbyes as well." Hannah spoke, trying to hold back the sinister smile.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Philip growled, finally letting go of his grandfather's hand. He turned to glare at Hannah and her family, while blocking them from William.

"William was a dear friend of mine. Do you perhaps have a problem with us being here?" Bill Roxington, spoke in a monotone voice.

"I do have a problem." Philip growled, taking an angry step forwards. Mackenzie grabbed his shoulder, causing him to stop dead in his tracks. He looked over his shoulder at her saddened face.

"Let them say goodbye and then they can leave." Mackenzie said, giving Philip the sweet eyes that he couldn't refuse.

"You can say goodbye." He spoke, clenching his fists. Hannah chuckled confidently and walked up to the casket. She stared down at the old man with disgust. Yeah, he had always been nice to her, but she hated how much he defended Philip. He should've been defending her instead!

Bill Roxington was only slightly saddened by William's death. Sad at the loss of business partner. What would it matter if one old man died? Philip wouldn't continue any sort of deal with them, so this was truly a loss.