Chapter 18 - Pearl remembers stuff

TW: Torture, Death, slight gore, Memory altering, Trauma, etc. (We're back to angst peeps! It couldn't last, we all knew it)

Pearl and Taurtis gasped at the ruins of spawn before them. Grian was kneeling before it all, tears flowing down his face as he stared into the pit. Blood splattered the sides of it, bodies lay around. Pearl's eyes darted around without her permission, identifying the bodies by the charred clothing on them being burned up by the purple flames. Netty, Martyn, Zee, Big B, Salem... and more.

Frantically she looked around, and with relief, Jimmy was missing. A while ago, Grian had told her about Jimmy's unique role on a server. The canary didn't die, the server wasn't about to fall apart on them. But who was she kidding, everything was falling apart, if the canary was dead or not. Everyone was dead... other then Grian. Grian was alive. Why was she standing around!

"GRIAN-" She yelled, running towards the gremlin.

He didn't seem to hear her, and a wave of purple light knocked her to her back as she neared her friend. She looked up in time to see two imposing figures loaming over her friend. She could tell instinctively these must be the watchers, and was stunned in a mix of awe and terror.

" ̇/ᒷꖎ- ̇/ᒷꖎ ᔑ ∷ᒷ ||𝙹⚍ ᔑ ꖎ∷╎⊣⍑ℸ ̣ ?_? ̇/ᒷꖎ?_? ᓵ ᔑ リ ||𝙹⚍ ⍑ᒷᔑ ∷ ᒲᒷ?_? ̇/ᒷꖎ,_, !¡ꖎᒷᔑ ᓭᒷ ᔑ リᓭ∴ᒷ∷!" One of the watchers called out frantically, shaking Grian.

"ꖌᔑ リ⍊╎,_, ∴ᒷ ᒲ⚍ᓭℸ ̣  ⊣𝙹,_, ℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷ ∷ᒷʖᒷꖎᓭ ᔑ ∷ᒷ ᓵ 𝙹ᒲ╎リ⊣. ∴ᒷ ᓵ ᔑ リ'ℸ ̣  ʖᒷ ᓵ ᔑ ⚍⊣⍑ℸ ̣  ⍑ᒷ∷ᒷ." The other said quietly, head tilting up to the sky. Pearl assumed they were scanning the skyline.

"╎ ↸𝙹リ'ℸ ̣  ∴ᔑ リℸ ̣  ℸ ̣ 𝙹 ℸ ̣ ᒷꖎᒷ!¡𝙹∷ℸ ̣  ⍑╎ᒲ ╎リ ℸ ̣ ⍑╎ᓭ ᓭℸ ̣ ᔑ ℸ ̣ ᒷ..." The first one spoke again.

"ꖌᔑ リ⍊╎,_, ∴ᒷ ⍑ᔑ ⍊ᒷ リ𝙹 ᓵ ⍑𝙹╎ᓵ ᒷ!_!∴ᒷ ᒷ╎ℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷ∷ ℸ ̣ ᒷꖎᒷ!¡𝙹∷ℸ ̣  ⍑╎ᒲ 𝙹⚍ℸ ̣  𝙹∷ ⍑ᒷ ↸╎ᒷᓭ ⍑ᒷ∷ᒷ." The other responded. The two nodded to eachother, and purple light glowed around them, so bright, it caused Pearl to squint against it. When she blinked they were gone, taking Grian with them.

"Grian?!" Taurtis called out after a moment. Pearl ran over to where Grian was, and looked at Taurtis. Both were crying at this point, and a even more sickening thought was spoken by Pearl as she eyes widened.

"Grian was our admin..." She whispered. "EVO doesn't have a active Hub portal..."

"We have to wait here... The Admins have must a list of permadeaths right? They'll come to investigate, right?" Taurtis replied. "They won't abandon us here with the watchers..."

"Yeah... But, Grian was an admin... He never really went to many meetings- It's always been the Watchers caring for us... What if the admins don't know?" Pearl whispered back, it feeling forbidding to break the sorrowful quiet.

"Your always a pessimist... It'll be fine. We'll get out of here, get Grian back..."

"Sure." Pearl was too exhausted to reply... All her friends were dead, dead, dead. She was alone, other then Taurtis... And Grian might be suffering a fate worse then death in the hands of the watchers.

Pearl and Taurtis had been alone for a few hours. They'd finally moved and begun making graves for their friends. They walked back to spawn, when a purple flash made them both jump. A group of watchers, numbering around 6 landed around the two.

"∴⍑ᒷ∷ᒷ ╎ᓭ ̇/ᒷꖎᑑ⚍ᔑ." A watcher stepped forwards and spoke.

Pearl shivered in terror at this unfamiliar language, but didn't want to kneel before the beings like Taurtis was doing.