vii. 'you're lucky, faye.'

Both of the teens managed to fall asleep that night, despite everything that happened and the surging pain that went throughout Faye's back, causing her to wake up at every waking hour. Though, she somehow managed to find herself back within a state of sleep every single time, most of the time Finney's quiet snores easing the anxious feeling her body withheld. Faye wasn't exactly sure why Finney's snores that would usually be annoyed soothed her, but she fully knew that she wouldn't be telling him, or anyone for that matter, about it.

But despite the fact she was finally getting a bit of sleep, Faye was suddenly jolted awake by the sound of the phone ringing. She shot up faster than she ever had, Finney slowly waking up next to her. Due to her shooting up from where she previously laid, the large gashes that covered her back began to sting, causing her to take a large intake of breath. 

The girl immediately stood up after the strike of pain passed, making her way to the phone and leaving Finney to follow shortly after her. When she picked it up and off the receiver, she held it up to her ear and listened to the static that came from it, awaiting a voice to follow.

"You said my name was Billy."

"Billy Showalter." Faye replied hesitantly, glancing up at Finney and lowering the phone from her ear, holding it between the both of them just as they always had. 

"Don't call me that."

Suddenly, to the side of the both of them, the green tinted bottle began to shake against the concrete floor, it clinking softly due to the movement within it. Both Faye and Finney glanced over at the bottle, turning back to each other and then the phone in front of them. 

"I don't remember it. It's not who I am now."

"What do you want us to call you?" Finney muttered into the phone, seeing as the bottle continued clinking against the ground. Without realizing, Finney took the phone from Faye's hand and began walking closer to the bottle, leaving the girl to stand there and watch him examine it slightly. "What do you remember?"

The bottle suddenly dropped against the ground, a loud clink following after it, causing Faye to flinch slightly. Ever since her encounter with the man upstairs, Faye was clearly 10x as jumpy as she had been previously, and it was easy to see. 

"I told you, I was a paperboy."

"Okay. Paperboy." Finney clarified, sending Faye a glance over his shoulder and making his way back over to where she stood, assuring that the both of them would be able to hear what Paperboy had been saying.

"You're lucky, Faye."

"What?" Faye questioned, grasping the phone from Finney's hand and lifting it toward her ear to assure she heard every word that came through it. In no way was she lucky, nor was Finney, and the fact that he could just say that out of the blue made no sense.