viii. 'i almost let you go.'

"I know you're not sleeping

"I know you're not sleeping." The man hummed in a sing-song voice, the both of their eyes opening and meeting. Faye's eyes were slightly puffy from the previous moments, shooting Finney knowing glances before sitting up and facing the man in the doorway. She hoped that he wouldn't do anything regarding what had happened before, so she moved back and against the wall just in case. Finney sat on the edge of the mattress, though, knowing that he wouldn't do anything to him.

"I'm starving." Finney kept it simple whenever he spoke to the man, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of an actual answer.

"Tell me your name." The man replied, not giving much of a care to what Finney had said. His eyes were completely on Finney when he stated his request, basically ignoring Faye's presence. Within the shadow that came over him in the doorway, Faye could make out a rough vision of what he looked like-- the ordinary mask and a tray of food in his hands, as per usual.

"Why do you care?" Finney questioned, obviously seeing the tray in his hands as well. The both of them were visibly confused at the sudden interest for their names, Faye keeping her place against the wall.

"I usually don't. I find out eventually in the paper. They always print a nice, big photo with all the details I could ever want. All the things you boys lie about." Somehow, the man still thought Faye was a boy-- unless he just said it to go along with whatever fantasies he held that led them here.

"What's different this time?" Faye questioned despite the fact she hated speaking around the man that previously attacked her with a belt, Finney sending her a warning glance to quiet down before something happened. He didn't mean it in a rude way, it was more to protect her if anything.

"Oh-- it's complicated. It's too complicated. Everything's different, nothing's going right." The man stumbled upon his words, looking at the two kids in front of him, but his line of sight mainly being on Finney. For whatever reason, he was completely ignoring Faye's existence.

"You could let us go." Finney suggested, turning his head back to the man in front of them and trying his best to convince him to let them go.

"I was thinking about letting you go." He made sure to exaggerate his statement toward Finney, not even sparing Faye a second glance as he did so. Faye's heart dropped slightly as she realized that if either of them were getting out of here, it'd be Finney, and she'd just be left here for whatever remaining time she had left of her life.

"I-I promise I won't tell anyone. You can blindfold me, drop me off on the street, I'll walk home." Finney tried to pry, knowing that if he got out of here, he could help find Faye. And the girl that sat behind him understood what he was trying to do, so she just let him do what he needed to do, despite the fact she would most likely never get out of here.

"Well, tell me your name." The man requested once again, a smile apparent in his voice despite the fact that he had a mask on due to the fact Finney was actually cooperating and willing to leave Faye here. Little did he know what they were planning to do.