Fathers Day

Nova, Rose, and The Doctor are standing in a Register office watching Rose's parents get married.

"I, Peter Alan Tyler, take you, Jacqueline Angela Suzette Prentice."

"I, Peter Alan Tyler, take you, Jacqueline Suzanne Suzette Anita" he tried to say.

But a younger Jackie cut him off "Oh, just carry on. It's good enough for Lady Di."

"I thought he'd be taller," Rose said quietly to herself and Nova looks at her best friend a little worried about her.

The registrar continues "To be my lawful wedded wife, to love and behold till death us do part."

Back in the Tardis Rose is talking about the day her dad died. "Mum said It was a hit-and-run driver. Never found out who. He was dead when the ambulance got there. I only wish there'd been someone there for him I want to be that someone, so he doesn't die alone."

The Doctor looked at her thoughtfully for a moment before sighing "November the 7th?" he said double-checking the date.

"1987," Rose added.

The Doctor nodded and pulled a lever, and they were off to 1987 for Rose to meet her father.

Rose stepped out of the Tardis and looked surprised when she saw the sky " It's so weird. The day my father died. I thought it'd be all sort of grim and stormy. It's just an ordinary day."

Nova and the Doctor stepped out behind her. "The past is another country. 1987's just the Isle of Wight."

Nova gives her best friend a look "Rose, are you sure about this?"

Rose took a deep breath before answering "Yeah."

Rose looks at the two, time lords, "This is it. Jordan Road. He was late. He'd been to get a wedding present, a vase. Mum always said that stupid vase." A green van comes around the corner. D602 PKW "He got out of his car." she continues, It pulls into the curb "And crossed the road."

Rose pauses "Oh, God. This is it." As Pete gets out of the van, the Doctor takes Rose's hand and Nova puts a comforting hand on her shoulder. A beige car comes round the corner - NEH 793W - and straight into Pete. The driver shields his face with his arm and keeps going, leaving Pete and the broken vase in the middle of the road. Pete tries to move.

The Doctor looks at her "Go to him, quick." But she can't. Later, round the corner, as sirens approach. "It's too late now. By the time the ambulance got there, he was dead. He can't die on his own. Can I try again?" The three of them look round the corner to see themselves by the curbside.

The Doctor looks at her "Right, that's the first us. It's a very bad idea, two sets of us being here at the same time. Just be careful they don't see us. Wait till she runs off and they follow, then go to your dad."

Rose nods before saying " I can't do this."

The Doctor gives her a look "You don't have to do anything you don't want to, but this is the last time we can be here." Rose runs forward as Pete is getting out of the van.

"Rose! No! " Nova and the Doctor both yell out after her.

Rose dashes past her earlier self and pushes her father out of the path of the beige car. The vase rolls away, unbroken. The earlier Doctor, Rose, and Nova vanish.

Rose looks at her father in shock " I did it. I saved your life."

Pete looks at her "Blimey, did you see the speed of it? Did you get his number?"

Rose is still in relative shock at what she just did "I really did it. Oh, my God, look at you. You're alive! That car was going to kill you."

"Give me some credit, I did see it coming. I wasn't going to walk under it, was I." Rose smiles at him "I'm Rose."