Chapter Three

Me and Jay walk to an opening in the middle of the building where two men are stood talking. As soon as everyone is crowded around them one of the two men speaks. 'Listen up! I'm Eric and one of your leaders. If you want to get into Dauntless, this is the way in. If you are too scared to jump, then you don't belong here.' Everyone goes quiet then an Erudite speaks up. 'Is there something at the bottom to catch us?' Eric answers straight away. 'You'll just have to jump and see for yourself.' I hear someone complaining how we just jumped, and that they want us to do it again. 'Somebody's got to jump first, who's it going to be?'

Nobody volunteers. Should I volunteer? Im the only abnegation here, and it looks like none of these wusses are gonna go, so why not? 'Me.' The people in front of me make space so I can walk to the front. I stroll to the front, with my head high, as if jumping off the top of a building was only natural. Eric moves to the side so I can see where I'm going to jump into. I look into the hole and see only darkness. I look at a smirking Eric and turn away smirking myself. He probably thinks I'm gonna wuss out. Just because I'm abnegation doesn't mean I'm scared all the time. I'll make him wipe that smirk off of his face. I'll put on a show. I hope all that working out at night helps. He better remember this! I pull myself up onto the ledge and stretch my arms out straight for balance. I turn so that I'm facing the still smirking Eric, and the other people that are going to jump after me. My eye catches Jays and I wink at him turning his confused face into an excited one. He knows what I'm going to do. I look at Eric for a final time, I smirk at him and do a fake salute wanting to piss him off, and get rid of that stupid smirk, which I do. He just stares at me with an angry look on his face, and before he can say anything I backflip into the darkness.

I hear whooping getting quieter and quieter as I fall deeper into the void. My hands are still outstretched, and I feel like I'm flying. I close my eyes and then hit something, a net. After bouncing up and down a few times I grab the nearest hand and it pulls me off the net and places me on the concrete ground. I look up and see that the hand belonged to a man about Eric's age with dark brown eyes that complement his light brown hair. 'What's your name?' It sounded more like an order than a question to me, but okay. 'Can I change it?' I ask and he nods 'You can pick a new one if you want, but make it good. You don't get to pick again.' I nod and answer him. 'Lana.' He nods and looks to the side. 'First jumper, Lana!' Then he turns back to me and says 'welcome to Dauntless'. He tells me not to stand too close to the net so I wait a metre or so away.

The next person hits the net and is pulled off of it. 'Second jumper, Jay!' Jay nods to the man who pulled both me and him off the net and walks towards me. 'That was awesome up there!' He says enthusiastically. 'I know right. So, is Eric pissed, then?' Jay nods while laughing. 'Yep. Just you wait until training, I think that you better put 'causing trouble' back on that bucket list of yours in big writing, because those five extra laps are coming your way with a side of butt-kicking.' I chuckle along with him. I look around with my hand above my brow and say yet another sarcastic comment. 'Butt-kicking? Where? Why aren't I helping them kick butt? Oh, and can I get a side of fries too, thanks.' Jay starts laughing louder and I keep my tone serious. 'What? I wasn't joking y'know. Get me those fries.'

Jay nods and pretends to open an invisible bag and pull out various items. 'Ooh, let's see... an umbrella, no... a handgun, how did that get in there? Ah, here it is, your fries ma'am.' He pulls out a box of invisible fries and passes me them. I grab them off him and pretend to eat. 'Hey, you need to pay for them!' I laugh at him and shake my head. 'You'll never get me alive! Hahaha!' I laugh an evil laugh and begin to run around like a four year old with Jay on my heels. He grabs me from behind and pulls me into his chest. I struggle against his grip but it just gets tighter. 'Hey, no fair! Those are my fries!' Jay steals my invisible food and starts eating them, one by one. When he's finished he drops the non-existent box then laughs at me, loosening his grip on me, which gives me enough time to struggle free. I get away from him and we both laugh, hard. I even have tears in my eyes.

Everyone has jumped now, and only Eric and the man he was talking to on the roof are left. The man goes before Eric and leaves before even introducing himself. Rude. Eric jumps and as soon as his feet touch the ground his eyes are on me.
Oh crap. Luckily, the guy who pulled me off the net begins to talk. 'Hello everyone, I'm Four, and I'm going to help you fit in here at Dauntless. Me and Eric here,' Four gestures towards Eric, who nods saying that's me. 'Are your instructors and are going to be with you every single step of the way on your journey towards being a full pledged member of Dauntless.'
Oh crap. I look at Jay, who instantly turns towards me grinning. 'I'm so dead.' I whisper. 'Indeed you are, Lana. Indeed you are.'