Chapter Six

I wake up to the sound of metal against metal, not a very nice sound to hear on a morning. I hear groans from around the room, the closest one coming from Ember's mouth. I sit up rubbing my eyes, as I turn to the source of the noise. Eric. He's stood there, banging a metal pipe against the wall. His face emotionless, as always. I look at Eric and yawn. Eric looks in my direction, his eyes bearing into mine. He stops banging the pipe for a few seconds and I get up to start stretching. I look back at Eric and he shakes his head then starts to thrash the pipe into the wall again. 'I want everyone in the pit, three minutes.' He says then leaves.

I look under my bed and grab my folded jeggings and shirt. I place my shirt on the bed and begin pulling on my jeggings. When they're on, I pull the black shirt over my head and pull it down. When I've done that, I put on my black pumps and decide to check everyone's awake. And by everyone, I mean Red. I look over to the bed next to me, and he's still sleeping. I leave him and walk into the bathroom. I wash my face and rinse my mouth with some mouthwash by my sink. I tie my hair into a high ponytail and walk back into the 'bedroom'. Red's still asleep, while Jac and Ember are sat, fully dressed, with their heads in their hands, trying to wake up. 'Hey, we need to wake this lazy dog up.' I say. Ember and Jac's heads shoot up and look at the snoozing Red. 'He's still asleep?' Ember says. 'Yep.' I say popping the p. 'But not for long. Watch this.' I head back into the bathroom and grab a cup, then fill it with cold water. I return a minute later, with the water filled cup in my hands. 'You're not going to, are you?' Ember says. 'Yep.' I reply, popping the p again.

I pull the covers off of Red and call to him. 'Red, wake up. It's morning. You don't want to catch the morning rainfall.' I say. 'Ugg... Five... more... minutes...' Is what he says turning to face the ceiling. Bad move. I think. I pour the full cup over his face and drench him with water. When the cup's empty, I sit on the bed with Ember and pretend to be having a conversation. 'Hey, you ready to go to hell?' I say and Ember tags along with me like nothing happened. 'No, but do we have a choice?' She says. 'Read the first word of the sentence you just said.' I reply. 'No.' Ember thinks out loud. 'Hey, who threw water on me?!' Red shouts angrily. 'Oh, hey Red, you awake?' I say, leaving his question un answered. 'Don't ignore me! Who. Threw. Water. At. ME?!' Red repeats his question. ' I told you that you don't want to catch the morning rainfall. Don't blame me for you not taking useful advice.' Red gets up out of bed and stomps towards me and Ember. Ember jumps up and stops Red from getting near me. 'You're gonna pay for this!' Red says raising his voice. I look around and point a finger at myself. 'Me?' I say. 'Who ever said that I did it. And why would I take pleasure in pouring ice-cold water over your face? Hmm?' I say with a posh accent. His face burns up in anger, then he walks away to get dressed. When he enters the bathroom, Jac and Ember both high-five me. 'That was, awesome!' They whisper. 'I know, right?' I reply and giggle with them.

When Red's dressed, we walk to the Pit, just as Eric said. Everyone else was still in the dorms, so its just us - Me, Jac, Ember, and Red - in the Pit with Eric. He looks up when he sees us and stands up and off the wall he was leaning on. 'Where is everyone?' He says seriously. 'Back in the dorm.' I say nodding towards the direction we came. He turns towards me, looking at my face, and nods. 'I'll give them one minute, then we're going to training without them.' He says. 'That's real generous of you.' I say sarcastically. Eric glares at me. 'Keep your mouth shut, I didn't come to instruct a wannabe Candor smart mouth, this is Dauntless, not Candor.'

I snort. 'Well I didn't come to be told what to do by some asshole who thinks he knows everything.' I shoot back. Red, Ember and Jac go silent. 'I'm sorry, what did you say? Could you repeat that?' Eric says. 'You heard what I said, and no, I will not repeat what I said, asshole.' I say, frustrated. Eric was just about to lecture me, when the rest of the transfers arrive. Thank god. Five years later. 'You're late!' He says with more anger than usual. Obviously because of me. When that thought flies through my mind I smile, trying not to laugh. 'I said three minutes, not four!' He shouts. 'Follow me!' We follow Eric into a room with targets along every wall, punching bags, and a large matt in the middle of the room. Combat and knives. 'Stand in front of a punching bag.' Eric orders. I successfully get one with Jac to my left, with Ember next to her, and Red to my right. 'Practice punches and kicks.' Eric says. 'Go!' I already know all the punches, kicks, and tricks to use so that I win in a fight. They were all tested and they worked out perfectly. And by tested, I mean it, let's just say that nobody messed with me in school. Nobody.

Left punch, right kick. Right punch, left kick. Left elbow, right knee. Right elbow, left knee. Left jab, right hook. Right Jab, left hook. Left uppercut, right sucker punch. Right uppercut, left sucker punch.

After all of those punches I turn around and see that everyone is looking at me. Eric must have told us to stop, but I get carried away when practicing. It does help me forget things, so I guess that's why. 'Thanks for the demonstration, Lana.' Eric says. I'm not embarassed because nobody's laughing at me, they're stood staring, scared. I smile and a few of them shudder. I laugh to myself shaking my head. This reminds me of when I knocked out the 'strongest' boy in my school. Everyone was stood exactly like what they are, still and scared. And that's exactly why nobody messed with 'the girl who beat up the biggest boy in school'.