Chapter Four

After Four finishes introducing himself, he explains our living arrangements. 'Dauntless born, you go with Sara. The rest of you are with me.' He pauses. 'And Eric.' He adds the last sentence like it was an afterthought and that it didn't really matter. But Eric didn't seem to mind. And you know why? He was too occupied staring at me with those cold, piercing eyes of his. I can see him out of the corner of my eye, he doesn't move an inch. His eyes scan me up and down, sizing me up, and I immediately tense. I think he notices because he looks to the side and pretends to just be looking around. I try to forget that he's there and I call out to Jay, who's currently walking away with the other dauntlessborns. He turns and nods at me. Eric seems to be watching me and Jay very carefully, and when I say that, I mean it. I mouth the words 'help me' and Jay laughs and shakes his head while turning back to follow the others. Eric's still stood there, doing absolutely nothing, while Four tells us to follow him. 'I'll give you a quick tour, but the rest you'll just have to figure out yourself.'

Our first stop is the Chasm. Its an area between two coridoors connected by a bridge with one side without railing and the other side with. There's a stream running below us and a pretty big drop, too. Wouldn't want to fall down there.

Four takes us down a staircase and through a long corridor, then we arrive. 'This is the Pit, the centre of life here at Dauntless.' The walls are made of a whitish-grey stone and so is the floor, the walkways have no railings on them, considering this is dauntless its not exactly going to be the safest place on Earth. Below us there are people talking, play fighting, and some just messing around. After a quick look around Four says 'Let's go.' After a while we reach our destination, our accommodation according to Four. He leads us into a room with about twenty bunkbeds in total. 'Both girls, and boys will be sleeping in here.' A girl behind me keeps repeating 'what?' and it's starting to get annoying. Four shows us the bathroom and that's shared as well. 'Get dressed and we'll leave for the canteen.' He throws us random pieces of black clothing, makes a difference, right? And most of the boys start to get dressed first. I decide to look at what clothing I got, black pumps, black jeggings, a black running bra with a black shirt to go over it, and a black soul. Wait... that was mine already, never mind.

Once we're all dressed Four takes us to our lunch area. I look around and find Jay sat at a table in the middle of the dining hall, already looking at me. He waves to come over to his table, so I walk down the middle walkway to get to it, when I finally do he greets me with one of his signature smiles. 'Hey there. Guys, this is who I've been telling you about. This is-' I interrupt him. 'Lana, who can introduce herself, thank you.' One of Jays friends tries to stifle a laugh, but fails. Jay glares at him and he stops. 'Well, are you going to introduce me, or are you going to be rude and leave me standing here?' I keep my serious tone switched on, just because I want to see their reactions.

'Okay, this is Jacob, Leigh, Jess and Leah.' He says pointing to each person as he calls out their names. The boys both smile, while Jess and Leah wave, well, like girls. 'Sit down.' Jay says patting the seat to his left. I nod and sit down. 'So, how'd you guys meet this idiot, then.' I say smiling, so they know I'm kidding. 'Hey.' Jay places a hand over his heart, faking that he's hurt. 'I have feelings, y'know.' I widen my eyes in shock. 'You do? Wow, If you wouldn't have told me that I'd never have known.' Jay just chuckles to himself while smiling, and everyone else laughs out loud. 'Well,' Leigh starts 'I've known him for my entire life, as for Jacob...' He pauses waiting for Jacob to continue. 'I met him, like Leigh, really young, but about a year after him. You beat me to it, man.' All three boys are smiling now. 'As for us,' Jess says pointing to herself and Leah 'We met on the trains, pretty obvious place, but yeah.' Leah nods confirming what's just been said.

'Wow, you guys are just like a mini family.' They all nod before I finish. 'Jay and Jacob are mommy and daddy, with their son Leigh and their two daughters Leah and Jess. Who could've guessed that you'd be a mom Jay?' Everyone else starts laughing, including me, but Jay doesn't look too pleased. 'And guess what?' He asks me. 'What?' I ask him. 'You're the luckiest of us all, because you're a dog.' Ouch. He's gonna pay for that. Everyone goes silent. 'Hey, Jacob.' I ask him nicely. 'Yeah?' He asks a little confused. 'Do they lock the accommodation at night?' He thinks, still confused, but answers. 'No.' I laugh and everyone looks at me puzzled.

'You hear that Jay?' I pause making him listen for no reason, and for effect. 'Your sleeping in an unlocked room, tonight.' I pause, again - for effect. 'Wouldn't wanna go sleep walking and accidentally push you off the Chasm, would we?' His eyes go wide and so do everyone else's. Hahaha, just the reaction I was looking for. They just stare at me and I act like nothing happened by grabbing some food off of the table and shoving it onto my plate.

I grab a knife a thrust it down the middle of my burger, keeping it in place. Everyone shudders as I do this, and its quite amusing. There's skewers but who doesn't like living life on the edge. Well, them, apparently. I look over to the table in front and see that Eric is sat there, staring at me. He must have heard and seen everything, but oh well, he probably finds it as amusing as I do, maybe he'll even congratulate me - I've got that to look forward to. I sweetly smile at him then start to eat my burger, and they're still staring.

I look at each and everyone of them in the eyes and see shock, maybe even fear in them, and when I look at Jay, he's one hundred times worse. 'What you staring at?' I turn around, again, like nothing happened and turn back to them. I just continue eating my burger, when I've nearly done I pull the knife back out and place it in the middle of the table. When I'm finished they're still shocked, scared, still unmoving. 'Oh come on, really? If that scared you then I guess you didn't see my full personality. Look, I didn't actually mean to scare you guys, but comparing me to a dog is a no-go, okay.' The fear in their eyes disappears and they actually start to move for the first time in like, three minutes. 'Alright, well, at least try to keep that under control because that crap you have right there literally makes you shed a full layer of skin.' They all laugh uneasily, agreeing to Jay's comment with shaky yeahs. 'I'm guessing that's the closest we're gonna get to an apology so..., okay, that happened, um... I forgot...' Jacob says. We all laugh, naturally, this time and everybody's okay after that.