the ending of it all

Luke stood at the door of his kidnapper's house. Finally, Luke could go back to the city and do what he wanted. He could tell the police, finish school, and be the person he wanted to be. His mind wandered to Michael, he could go ask Michael but then again he was Ashton's accomplice. He decided, finally, that he would make it out of the woods. He opened the door and started walking.

               He'd covered Ashton's body with the sheets; he picked up his walk into a jog. He stayed there with his body for an hour apologizing; he passed Michael's house. He kissed Ashton's head then left; he felt tears prickle at his eyes. Finally, he was free from Ashton and nothing had ever felt better than this. He started to slow his pace, wiping at his eyes.

"Finally. Fu cking finally." Luke started to speak, sitting down on the wet ground. He looked up at the sky, the clouds heading east.

"After five years of being trapped by that psychotic, bipolar killer, I'm free. I get to do anything. Not be coddled by him. 'Loved' by him. His idea of love... I mean... I could have had worse." Luke sighed and leaned back against a tree, "He did feed me at least... except that one time he caught me and Calum cuddling. He didn't feed me for two days." Luke chuckled at the memory, "he let me shower too... Cuddled me at storms." Luke bit his lip, thinking of more things Ashton had done to 'love' him.

               It was the only love he ever got. Well, aside from his mom. But this love, it was different. Luke started to get up again, dusting himself off. He headed to the city again. But for god's sake, it was love. And when Luke said he loved Ashton, he didn't lie. He had felt something, just... He guessed that's what love was. The feeling he got when he kissed Ashton, even if the male had scarred him in more than one way. Luke walked, pondering the thoughts.

A day later, he'd reached the city. He found the police station first, but the thoughts of Ashton till lingered.

"May we help you?"

"I-I... I think I love him." Luke whispered to himself, mostly.

"Excuse me sir?"

"I-I mean, I'm Luke Hemmings. I was taken five years ago."

               The police officer's eyes widened, he nodded, telling more of his employees. Luke stood there, ragged and confused about his feelings.

"A-And I killed my kidnapper."

               The police nodded, "it's okay son. Let's get you into some clean clothes and you don't worry about anything. Your aunt, uncle, and older brothers have been searching for you. We're going to call them and you're going to go home."

"But I killed someone."

"It was self-defense, Luke. Don't worry, you won't be charged for it. C'mon Luke."

               Luke followed as he sat down, his eyes dull. He heard one of the officers whispering about the boy probably had Stockholm syndrome. Luke looked away from them, hearing someone scream his name. He saw his aunt and uncle; they threw their arms around him. He didn't get the feeling of love like he did when Ashton's arms were around him.

"I killed him." He repeated, and that's all he could say for the next day.

+

10 years later

               Luke was at Ashton's gravesite, talking to him as he usually did. Luke never forgave himself. Michael didn't go to jail, because Luke didn't say anything about his friend Calum or Michael. The court ordered he'd see a therapist till the feelings of Ashton were gone. But they never were. Sometimes, he slept at the gravesite, until someone made him leave. Everyone still gave Luke the weird looks, judging him on his love for his dead lover.

He finished school, finished university. He was a substitute teacher for English. He had his book published this year about his life being trapped with a killer. Of course, he didn't use his name. But everyone who lived in town knew.

He saw Michael at Ashton's gravesite a few times. Luke had talked to him once, Michael wasn't mad. He was sad for his best friend but said it was better off that way. Michael and Luke went to get coffee sometimes but not even Michael changed Luke's feelings for Ashton. No one ever would. He loved his 'strongly' disliked killer. He could never hate him.

"I love you, you psycho." Luke murmured to the gravestone, "and I miss you."