agony in waiting

"5 minutes left.", an invigilator announces, making me jump a little.

We're sitting our final exams. Currently, I'm in a math exam with a lot of other students. I can see Mya's leg bouncing as she checks through her answers, and I also see Atsumu asleep on his desk.

I answered all of the questions. Which is a surprise, since my mind had been elsewhere the entire time.

Suna isn't in the exam hall with us.

After the incident, Remy and her crew ran off and got into their car, driving away without another word. Probably terrified they actually just killed someone.

So I called an ambulance. I could barely speak as I tried my best to give them our location, and also tried to minimise his bleeding.

Once they arrived and took him away, I couldn't even bring myself to drive home. I called my Mum in tears and she immediately collected me, making her boyfriend drive home the car Suna and I had previously been in.

I also had to speak to the police. I told them everything, which they just added to my case and told me they would pray from Rintarou's recovery. It was awfully dismissive.

As for Rintarou, he's currently in a coma. The doctors told me he could wake up, but he might not. It's unpredictable as of now, the bullet snagged a crucial artery, but didn't completely pierce it, or something like that.

My heart shattered when they introduced the possibility he may never wake up. I burst into tears the moment the doctors left the room, and then I sobbed for hours, uncontrollably. In the elevator, in the car, and then back at home in my room. I left before his Mum arrived on purpose, feeling guilty, responsible, and unable to face her devastation.

"Time is up. Wait for your papers to be collected, then leave quietly.", the invigilator directs.

So I comply, waiting until my paper had been taken in before grabbing my things and leaving the exam room.

Mya stands by the door, waiting for me. She looks at me apologetically, but doesn't immediately ask the obvious.

"How'd you find the test?", she hesitates.

"It was ok, you?"

"Yeah I thought it went well."

I don't reply, so she speaks again.

"How...are you?", she almost whispers as we leave the school premises. The school permits us to leave the school after our exams, since we've technically finished the school year.

"I've been better to be honest.", I mumble, already feeling tears in my eyes at the thought of Rintarou.

"He'll wake up (y/n), I promise.", she reassures me, taking my hand in hers and stroking it with her thumb.

"The last thing we did was argue."

"That's not the last thing you're ever gonna do though. I'm sure you'll go on loads of dates and stuff, maybe we could go on a double date.", she attempts to lighten the mood, but fails.

"I nearly went ballistic because he called me disrespectful. I didn't even get the chance to apologise. Now I might...I might never get the chance to.", my voice breaks as we walk into the parking lot. "His lasting image of me will be one of anger."

"No (y/n), he loves you. He could never see you in a negative light, I promise. I know my word doesn't mean a lot, but when he wakes up, he's gonna tell you about it himself.", she promises, guiding me to my Mum's car which is parked up. She decided to take time off of work, to make sure I'm ok.