cityscape to countryside

My Mother has decided to make it her mission to get me out of the city for a break. So when Sinead called her yesterday evening, she was quick to jump at her offer of me visiting this weekend.

I stuff a charcoal coloured zip-up into my bag. With a sigh, I zip up the backpack and sling it into the corner of the room, beside the door, then flop backwards onto the bed.

"Sinead's here.", my Mum's voice makes me jump as she stands in the doorway.

I nod without replying, still laying flat on the bed.

"Come on, you'll enjoy it. There's a farm."

"I know there's a farm.", I mumble. She comes and sits on the bed beside me, stroking my forehead with her hand.

"I'm going to visit Rintarou tomorrow, so if anything happens you'll be one of the first to know."

"Alright.", I sit up slowly, and get to my feet. "Is this is just for the weekend?"

She nods. "You'll enjoy it. I know you aren't that fond of Sinead, but Darren will be there. You guys get along great."

"Yeah true. I do like Sinead, she's just...a little loud, but she's lovely.", I grab my bag from the corner of my room and stretch, hearing my spine crack as I do.

"I know. Come on, she's waiting.", my Mum leaves my room and I follow her, switching off my bedroom light for the weekend.

Today is Friday, the time is 7:12pm. Its pouring heavily outside, like torrential rain. You can hear thunder every so often too. Thankfully, Sinead drives a Jeep Wrangler and had a tendency to take every shortcut, so she'll get us there quickly. She also always has the heated-seat function on, so I can fall asleep in the car.

Trudging to the door, I turn around to face my Mum. She's wrapped up in her blush coloured dressing gown, with slippers of the same colour on her feet.

She pulls me into a hug, to which I return.

"Stay safe. Try to relax and enjoy yourself.", she mumbles into my shoulder.

I nod as we pull away from the hug and I open the door. Sinead's parked outside of my house, with the window closest to the house rolled down.

"Hi (y/n)!", she shouts a little too loudly. "I've got you a (fave hot drink)!"

Stepping out onto the porch, I look over my shoulder and give my Mum a final departing smile, then scurry over to the car, eager to get out of the rain.

I open the passenger door and slip in, feeling Sinead's eyes on me as I do.

"I'm excited for you to stay with us. Maybe you can help on the farm. You don't have to though. Sometimes I refuse to, like when I've just got my nails done or something, wouldn't wanna waste my- oh wait, here's your drink.", she hands me the drink and cuts off her own rambling.

The drink warms my hands, and as I sip, it warms my insides too.

Sinead begins to drive, and I can just sense she's dying to ask about Rin.

"Go on.", I say to her, encouraging her to ask the question so I can get it over with.

"Oh! Uh-how...how is he?"

"He's okay.", I respond a little bluntly. "He's not getting any worse."

"That's good!", she answers enthusiastically.

I don't say anything else. The warmth from the drink and my seat is making me feel tired. My mind begins to wander, and soon I end up thinking about the love letter Rintarou wrote me.