Chapter #5 Assemble the Portal, Part 1

Sorry that this chapter is quite short, I've been working on it for months. Literally. This is just part 1 of Assemble the portal, so part 2 should be longer. I don't know if I might make a part 3 but if I do, they both should be bigger and better that this. Honestly I only made this chapter because it's a build up to a really good scene. Anyway, enjoy :)
___________________________________________

'Now that I think about it, I can't believe I'm gonna finally leave this place!'
Ash never asked why but they found it odd that Gloria wanted to leave her home so much. There were several times that they wanted to but thought it may be too personal.
Anyway, it was a new day and the two decided that finding a way out, was better to do sooner rather than later. It took much effort but after a long time of exploring and talking their way out of situations, but eventually they realised that the only way they could possibly leave, was to... make, a portal. This was going to be difficult as most of the things they needed were sourced from the overworld.
'Hey, Ash?'
'Yea?'
'How did you get here in the first place? I mean, I know you came through a portal but, normally if a portal is in use, someone guards it. If it's not in use, it is broken.'
They had to think about it for a second, Ash never really had a bad memory so it was odd that they couldn't recall it.
'I... can't remember.'
'Oh, that's ok. The portals can have that effect on people from what I've heard. It sort of makes you forget what you were doing until about 10 minutes before you go through.' That was an odd effect for a portal to have but Ash guessed previously, probably due to how magical it seemed, that it would have some sort of effect like that.
'Well... we need to get going if we are gonna make the portal before tomorrow morning.' Gloria said very happily.
'Wait, tomorrow!?'
'Yea, the sooner the better right?'
'Right...'
'Come on, there is a mine somewhere over here that's been abandoned for a while after they ran into a big cliff while strip mining and had to stop.'
The two managed to find the mine and entered the dark gaping hole that it was.
'Ash... Did you bring torches?'
'No, I thought you did?'
She swore and ran back out of the tunnel, tripping over rocks as she went.
Ash then followed, more careful about outcroppings and holes in the floor.
'Where are you going?'
'There is a shed nearby, it should have some leftover supplies from when the mine was in use.'
Thankfully, it had enough torches, wood, stone and other materials to replenish any tools that were broken. They grabbed the things and then they were back off to the mine.