∆≈ CHAPTER I ≈∆

My math class was going on, we were learning about Algebra. Algebra wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, it was complicated no doubt ; but it wasn't impossible to solve.

Mrs Holmes was busy explaining us about how to solve equations.

"So, the first step to solve equations is to find out their coefficients. Like ..." She wrote down an equation on the board :

2x + 3y - 5x + 4y

"Now, who can tell me what the coefficients of the given expressions are ?" Mrs Holmes turned towards the class.

"Mrs Holmes, can I try ?" I said.

"Sure, Beatrix !" she replied with a grin.

"For x, the coefficients are two and minus 5 and for, y the coefficients are three and four," I said, afraid that I might get the answer wrong.

"Is it correct, class ?" Mrs Holmes asked.

"Yes, Mrs Holmes !" Louis was the first one to reply.

Everyone followed him and most of them said 'yes', some happily while some irritably.

"Okay, so now Mr Partridge come to the board and solve the equation for me !" Mrs Holmes addressed Louis. "No, don't he afraid. Now come !"

As Louis was about to start writing, a senior from tenth year came to our class, "May I come in, Mrs Holmes ?"

"Yes, my dear ? Any problem ?"

"No, um ... I need Bea-Beatrix Jones," he said.

"Beatrix, go !" Mrs Holmes gestured for me to go out, in a kind way.

I shared a glance with Louis and he shrugged. I mouthed, 'I'll return soon'.

I recognised the boy, though I never talked to him earlier. I didn't know his name, either.

"Um... where are you taking me ?" I asked awkwardly.

"Mrs Harrington says your parents are here," he replied.

"My parents !?!?" I was shocked, of course I would've been. "Why ?"

"Do I seem like to know ?"

"No."

We both quietly walked to Mrs Harrington's office.

"May I come in, Mrs Harrington ?" I asked nervously.

"Yes, dear !" she replied with her fake sweet grin. "I was just telling your parents, how brilliant you are in your classes !"

I shared a nervous grin.

"But, dear you must limit your friendship with Louis Partridge," she then turned towards my mom. "You see, Angela he's very handsome and you're daughter's just as charismatic ! It won't be long, until the two of them are deeply in love. I'm warning you, limit their friendship," Mrs Harrington said as though ordering Mom to do so.

Louis was cute, okay, but that didn't mean I'd fall in love with him.

"Sure, Mrs Harrington !" My mom said.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. How cheap of a mentality these people have !

"I think we should leave," Dad announced.

"Very well, hope to see you soon, Angela and you too, sir !" Mrs Harrington gave her fake grin.

"Thank you, Mrs Harrington !" I said, disheartfully.

"I'll go and bring my bag from class !" I told Dad and he nodded.

I rushed to class, not to bring my bag but to meet Louis.