Chapter 1 - In which Grian is having a great time :D

Tw: None

POV: Grian

Grian paced in front of the rift, his lab coat fluttering behind him, spinning his pen in his fingers. He had to figure it out before it was too late... This whole thing reminded him of... Them... No, he wasn't going to let them paralysis him with fear. He couldn't stand by as other die.

He had to stop the hermits from finding this... This rift, and figure out how to close it. There was the chance it wasn't them anyway, and he'd be panicking the hermits for no reason. After all they had never done this sort of thing before! It would be fine, surely! He chuckled nervously at his attempt to reassure himself.

But if it was... He couldn't let them use whatever the rift was. He wasn't sure how to do it, or if it was possible, but he had to close the rift. It was tempting, with the power it possessed, the alluring whispers of power, but he wouldn't fall into their traps again. They promised power, safety. They said they'd help you protect those you cared about, before they rip them away... JUST because some other beings took a interest in TWO of them-

He threw his arms in the air. No, no, no. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever. He had to focus on his new server. He wouldn't let it torn apart like the one did. He'd fight back this time! He didn't believe them anymore. Their lies had no hold over him. He wouldn't let them hurt his friends again.

Not now, not again, not ever. Scribbling another note in his journal, he kept thinking.

He was better off then he was before anyway. Speaking of that- He needed to get some dye... The parrot-colored dye on his wings was beginning to fade, and certain feathers were almost fully their shimmering blacks and violets. He supposed that's what he got for staying in the quarry for ten days straight. But the feathers would bring up awkward questions if the hermits noticed, so he had to dye them again before he was forced to socialize when someone got concerned for his wellbeing, or, primals forbid, actually flew into his quarry to find him.

"I'll be back for you later-" He pointed at the rift, as if that would some how threaten the portal, before storing the book in his inventory.

With a flap of his wings, he flew out of the quarry the rift was hidden in, and towards the rocks he made his base inside of. Landing inside, He ran over to his mess of chests and shulkers. He had opened one of his shulker boxes, and was rummaging through it when a voice sounded from outside.

"Heya G-man!" Scar called out, meeting. "Wanna go hang out? Pearl said she found the best ice cream shop at the Hub!"

"Oh heya Scar!" He carefully ensured his wings were folded behind his back, as hard to see as possible as he walked out from behind the chest monster. "I'm a bit busy right now, sorry."

"Aww, but we never see you anymore! Your always busy! Relax a bit!" Scar pouted jokingly, but despite this, Grian knew he was disappointed.

It hurt him to see his friend so sad... Surely nothing would happen if he was gone for a few hours? The rift had been inactive for a couple of months... "Alright, Alright, I'll come, just give me a few minutes. Gotta dump my inventory first, I was mining, so I have a ton of junk in it. I'll meet you at the portal to the hub?"

Scar perked up. "Alright! See you there!" Scar jumped off the side of the balcony, deploying his elytra, and proceeding to rocket boost straight into the pillar, exploding into a puff of smoke and items. Grian winced, and sure enough, his communicator soon buzzed.

<GoodTimeWithScar experienced kinetic energy>
<XisumaVoid> Oh my! Are you alright Scar?
<GoodTimeWithScar> I'm okay! G-Man could you bring my stuff to the hub portal when you come down?
<Grian> Are you still up for the visit to hub?
<GoodTimeWithScar> No it's fine, I'm used to it by now