Chapter 13 - Soulbound?

TW: Violence, Body Horror, Gore, Mentions of death, mentions of hallucinations, Scarlet being Scarlet.

POV: Scarlet (DoubleLife!Pearl)

Scarlet let her wolves lead her through the forests, following the trail of the glowing gray, trying to ignore all that had just happened.

Everything was all too uncertain, but she was used to that. She would tackle it how she always had,  one foot in front of the other. Ignore that which stung, ignore that which caused pain. Isolate herself, deal with it later.

Besides, she was done with all this nonsense of running in fear. She didn't really care that she had killed Scar, it wasn't her fault. She hadn't meant to, she wouldn't blame herself, even though the others would.

Even if they called her curse, she wouldn't listen. She was done trying to redeem herself in the eyes of others.

Well... She did feel a bit guilty... But they didn't have limited lives here! He'd be fine.

She pushed some leaves out of her way, as she cleared the forest, Jade, Lily and Orchid chatting among themselves.

"Jade, Lily, where are we?" She whispered. The wolves had an innate sense of territory, which was quite useful when she wasn't focusing on directions, such as now.

This world was so much larger than she had been used too, it was far easier to get turned around, and lost.

"Approaching Grian's base I believe." Jade barked.

"Alright." She nodded. Frankly, she was starting to suspect it would lead to the rift, but it wouldn't hurt to try...

~+~

She walked up to the base, when she realized the soulbind led upwards to Grian's base, which wasn't the easiest place to access.

Luckily there was some scaffolding, but she couldn't take her wolves that way... She shivered, remembering Tilly's first death - Maybe it was for the best that they remained down here, where they could be safe.

"I'm heading up to the base, it's where the soulbind leads-" She whispered softly, turning to her wolves. "Stay safe and yelp if you need me." She didn't want to lose them... They were the last of her family and friends... The only ones she cared about.

She slowly began to climb up the scaffolding, careful to not lose her footing. A fall from this height wouldn't be very fun. Finally, she made it to the top, and began to walk through the rock, walking inside as the soulbind led her forwards.

She paused in shock. The soulbind... was leading straight towards her alternate.

...And her alternate was currently lying on a bed. And beside them, stood a formerly-pacing Grian, who had turned to look at her.

"..." Grian stared at her, his eyes oddly sorrowful. He ducked the eye contact quickly, dipping his head in greeting. "I thought you were meant to be supervised."

"There... Were a couple of issues with that plan-" She chuckled drily, knowing he could assume what happened.

"I saw the death message." He sighed. "Were-" He seemed to be trying to figure out how to pose her a question, or perhaps he was afraid to ask... Maybe she'd gained the reputation again. "Did- Did you begin to... Hear or see things that didn't exist?"

"Are you trying to call me insane-" She snapped, despite the fact his question was accurate to what happened. Besides, she wasn't exactly SANE, and she wasn't afraid to admit that, just... his question pushed her buttons.

"No, not all. If you say yes, You'll be just as insane as the one lying beside me... And she's... Mostly sane." He paused, as if remembering something, before shaking his head, and continuing on. As per usual, his voice was even, however it was almost more monotone then usual. "More sane than me..."