Chapter 23 - The cell

Tw: Panic, Derealization, Trauma, Suicidal idealization, Slight mentions of SH (Kinda? The man was mind controlled), Mentions of death

POV: Hermitcraft!Grian

The world snapped into focus, leaving the world of darkness and nightmares behind. He gasped, looking around. All he could see was darkness, darkness... His eyes were adjusting, and finally, he realized he was surrounded by obsidian.

He was alone, well and truly alone. He'd screwed up - He had to have, he was alone in the cell. He always screwed up - He was a failure through and through. He probably deserved this...

"Grian?"

His eyes shot open, he hadn't even realized he had closed them. Light flowed through bars at one edge of the cell. Pearl stood there, looking at him. Next to her, X stood, his mask obscuring his emotions.

Grian was worried, remembering what he said to Pearl last. She'd probably told X that he'd betrayed Hermitcraft. And in a way, he had.... No. It was them, not him. He had to remember that if he wanted anything resembling a somewhat positive mental state.

It stung. X had been nothing but supportive, and everyone on Hermitcraft was his friend, but now they all probably thought that he'd betrayed them. He'd have to play the role of traitor watcher... Fun! Time to act like his worst freaking nightmare had happened.

He felt his neck. Good. The necklace was there. That explained the lethargy he felt. His power was being drained by the necklace, likely supplied or suggested by Pearl. He hoped she hadn't had to give too much away to get this on him.

But another thought surfaced with that positive one. Watchers couldn't have their power drained forever, especially with a necklace not designed to keep their victim alive. He'd say he had around... a week, given his current state, until he fell into unconsciousness, and 3 days after that he'd likely be dead. He could stall the timer by sleeping, but honestly, he didn't see the point.

"Grian. I know you can hear me." X's voice spoke sternly, snapping him out of his thoughts.

"I suppose I can, yes." Grian replied, figuring it was safer to give simple answers and avoid too many questions. He didn't want to screw up the story Pearl had told.

He had to stay here... There was no other choice. The watchers might be quiet right now, but he wouldn't let himself get lulled into a false sense of security.

"Some nerve you have!" Pearl snapped, causing him to flinch. This was an act. It had to be. She understood the risk of having him walk free. "Pretending an apology makes up for all you did! WE let you go, thinking you were going to safety! BUT you just went to join the watchers! You betrayed me again..." She shouted at him, glaring through the bars. Her gaze softened as he cowered against the wall, and she mouthed 'Sorry.'

He couldn't stop shuddering. It was an act, Pearl wasn't mad... X was, but X didn't know - But X knew though... X knew he was a watcher, Pearl confirmed it with that 'outburst', X hated him...

No. Now wasn't the time to fall apart, he had to act, he had to, he had to...

"Pearl, please, I agreed to let you come, but you can't yell at him... Grian. I have some questions, I just... Can't understand." X's voice was softer now, but he couldn't let himself trust it. He just... Couldn't. X should hate him. Heck, Grian hated him, and he knew what was going on... Why wasn't X yelling?

"First off, what server did you come from? Don't lie. I know you didn't live in a single player world." X stared at him, shaking him out of his spiral again.

He met Pearl's eyes, and saw an almost imperceptible nod. "Evo. Of course." He let steel enter his voice. Put on the facade. He'd done this too many times. Cold expression, almost hostile, but not mad... Just, bored, give off some amusement here and there, you don't care about these mortals.