Chapter 5

They went back to her hotel room.

Elaine knew that Finn's Cloaking Spells were probably very efficient, but she was going to leave nothing to chance. The only way to ensure they weren't interrupted at all was to get to where they couldn't be spotted by anyone who knew their identities.

"How long have you been staying here?" asked Finn as she set up a small table with two chairs, ordering for the room service to bring them some drinks.

"A few days," she said. "I arrived in town the day we saw each other at the bar." She sank into the seat across from him. "I'm sure you have many questions, but if it's not too much trouble, I would like to know more about you first."

Finn smiled. "I suppose that makes sense. I have less to tell. Well... I suppose I should start from the beginning. The moment you I was torn away from you.

"After we left Southern France, we bounced around for quite awhile, attempting to throw our scent off of Mikael's radar. My brothers relied on what had been done to your siblings, and... it seemed to work. Kol was given a very sound scolding after the way he'd been acting in France, and he learned to be just a tad more discreet... though he did separate from the group various times to tear through towns without bringing Mikael directly to where we were staying. Tuscany was beautiful, but all I could think of was you, and whether your siblings had killed you with their newborn hunger. I assumed you did not turn, that you lost your child. And in my grief, I could not enjoy Italy the way my siblings did. Feeding was a chore, one I did not like in the slightest. As we knew of compulsion and healing by then, I'd simply have people drain their blood into goblets for me. I'd drink a cup once a day. Distract myself the rest of the time sparring with men from our village, or tending to a small garden I'd made behind our home. I walked long distances to clear my mind. Had many pets. Several horses and even one goat that liked to be carried on my shoulders. Nothing seemed to take away that profound sadness and worry. My brothers were vicious in keeping me near them.

"Then, I met Sage. It was the year 1103, a little over one hundred years since you and I had been together. I assumed you were long since dead, either from old age or from having been murdered. I imagined that Mikael had found your siblings and slaughtered you all. Sage was someone new, someone fresh. She loved me so very much. And after a year, I started to love her, too. I betrayed my morals and turned her, fearing that I would lose her, too, if I did not take that risk and do what it took to give her the strength to stay alive forever. To stay with me, forever. I thought that if I had done the same with you, I'd not have lost you.

"For ten years, we were happy. For the most part. Niklaus and Rebekah treated Sage very poorly, calling her a 'common whore' despite how often I begged them to respect her. Her background meant nothing. They taunted me when she wasn't there, asking if I cared for her as much as I did for you. I never mentioned you to her. It hurt too much to think of you, and I did not wish to make her feel as though my love was divided."

"That's alright, Finn," she said gently. "I understand. I hold nothing against you. It's only natural you would have wanted to move on. You thought me dead. You couldn't have known I survived. I want you to know it is perfectly alright to miss her. I actually met Sage, once. She was wonderful."

He raised a brow at her. "You met her? How?"

"Well, she was the first and only person you ever turned. One of the First Sired. Aurora heard of her, sought her out, introduced us. I suppose she thought Sage would be a good, powerful friend to have. But they did not get along very well. Sage didn't like the way Tristan and Aurora acted. Lucien and I only spoke to her once, each, and we didn't feel much of a connection. She didn't know who I was when I introduced myself. I assumed you hadn't told her anything. She preferred to be alone, and we respected that. She left and didn't keep in contact, to Aurora's dismay. She imagined making a strong little posse of first sired vampires, I think."