Chapter 12

She led Hayley to her room.

"We're safe to talk in here, Finn spelled the room," said Elaine, leading her to the little table by the window.

She hoped that Hayley would feel comfortable enough to be truthful about her feelings. Elaine wasn't going to reveal them to anyone if Hayley decided she would still go through with the wedding. It really wasn't her business, but seeing as Hayley probably had no one to talk to about this, she figured it was best to at least butt in once to make her aware of how damaging this might be to her.

Hayley decided to sit down while Elaine got to making them some tea. "What did you want to talk about?"

"I hear everything that happens in this house," said Elaine. "And I know about you and Elijah. And the fact you told Jackson. I figured you might like to talk to someone about it, since Rebekah is not here and we are the only two supernatural mothers here who can relate even slightly."

Hayley stared at her feet. "I heard you had an arranged marriage."

"I did. He was ten years older than me. I was eighteen when we wed. We were married for six years. We conceived shortly before he died, and from there... well, admittedly, I don't think of him much. I got quite lucky. He respected that I was afraid to sleep with him, as I feared I'd die in childbirth. Which I did. We eventually came to love each other, but... it wasn't the same as loving someone from the start and wanting to marry them. I had no choice but to befriend him. We didn't have much in common, but we got to know one another, grew to be affectionate. Sex was boring but he was gentle with me. And I appreciate what I had with him, but it was not a happy marriage. If I'd had a choice in that time, I never would have gone through with it, no matter who it stood to benefit. My marriage granted me my pride and joy, the most precious gift I've received in my life, and that is my son. But I would have gone insane staying with my husband if he hadn't passed. I likely wouldn't have survived to see my son grow up. I don't know what would have become of him."

The hybrid looked like she was going to be sick to her stomach. "That's what awaits me, huh?"

"If I'm being honest, Jackson seems a far better man than Elijah. I am biased of course since I hate Elijah. But the man began to fall in love with you while you were pregnant with his brother's child. While you yourself were still very young. Rather strange if you ask me. And yes it's a tad weird that Jackson loved the idea of you before he knew you, but I find it sweet he's never pressured you into anything. He's supported you. Cared for you. Respected your choice. Never made you feel shame when you became a hybrid. I noticed from your memories that Elijah treated you differently after you turned. A situation completely out of your control. That's rather unfair."

"What's your point?" asked Hayley a bit sharply. "That I should marry Jackson?"

"No. I don't think you should marry him unless you love him and wish to be with him forever. Unless you are willing to give up Elijah for good to be fully loyal to Jackson. It is not right for you to marry one man who is totally in love with you while you yourself are in love with another, one who sleeps with you but doesn't seem to tell you he loves you. I know you wish to protect your daughter, but there are other ways. Vampires exist with daylight rings. Wolves can exist with moonlight rings. Finn will not command the wolves any more, Esther is in a crypt unable to exit because of her own shame and sun restrictions. The wolves are free. You need only draw them back in with moonlight rings of your own. You do not have to marry Jackson. You do not have to stick yourself in an unhappy situation. This is a ritual. You cannot divorce him if the going gets tough. You are bonded until death parts you."

"How do you know that?"

"Please, darling, I've been around a thousand years, I know what a Unification Ceremony is. And I also heard Jackson explaining a bit to you earlier. You would have to give up Elijah permanently, otherwise that would be cheating. You will have to be with this man who, as far as I can tell, is really only a friend to you, and he may have expectations and make you feel guilty for not doing with him what married couples tend to do. You will feel miserable every second of that marriage. Freedom is much nicer, trust me."