Chapter 16

She reported her findings to the Mikaelsons immediately.

Finn was the first to receive a message, followed by Kol, Rebekah, and finally Klaus. The only reason Elaine even had Klaus's contact information was because Finn had given it to her to use in the event of an emergency.

Rebekah was the only one who answered, letting Elaine know that Elijah was with her and Marcel, and that he was going to look into the situation by questioning the Regent of the Nine Covens of New Orleans, a witch who apparently funded the Dowager Fauline Cottage and allowed it to remain an asylum.

It made complete sense to Elaine why Eva Sinclair had been put in there. She'd been obsessed with dark magic, kidnapping and apparently— according to the witch whose memories she saw— killing children to take their power. She'd been the wife of Vincent Griffith, and would have been the mother of his child if she hadn't been so consumed by the darkness. To this day, no one had ever found the children she took, but they were assumed dead. Eva was assumed to be extremely dangerous, and needed to be killed on sight.

Needless to say, Rebekah wasn't going to be safe for very long.

Kol was the second to answer, informing her that he and Davina were going to see what they could find out from other witches. They were also intending to prepare a spell to put Rebekah back into her own body. If necessary, Eva Sinclair could be handed over to be executed and Rebekah would be just fine.

"Finn," she breathed in relief when he finally answered his phone. "I was starting to think you'd been murdered. Where is everyone?"

"I am with Freya," he said. "We are planning her approach to our brothers— I had not been checking my phone. If Eva Sinclair was really married to Vincent Griffith..."

"Then the situation has become quite weird," said Elaine. "The witches will pursue Rebekah even if they know who she truly is— they will want revenge for what Eva did. And they may decide they want Vincent back, too."

"Then that means I cannot stay in this body much longer," said Finn. "Niklaus has been insisting I remain it in as long as possible in case it is necessary for me to perform spells."

"Well, Freya's here, and Kol is still in a witch body. That's two witches, done. I know Rebekah seemed to want to stay in the witch body but if she's being pursued, it is not a very good idea, just as it is not a good idea for you to continue using Vincent's body. You could get severely hurt if the situation progresses further; you're too vulnerable in a mortal form."

"I will speak to Freya about it, perhaps she can place a protective spell over me."

"Then I will speak to Reynard. Perhaps, to save us from going to Germany, he could send the resurrection spell here. Freya may be powerful enough to perform it if she channels me. We cannot afford leaving the country to get the spell done; by the time we come back, Dahlia could've destroyed the city."

"Very well, then, I will contact you when I've asked her about it."

"And I'll tell you what Reynad says."

She ended the call, dialing her son's number and propping up the phone for a FaceTime.

He appeared on the screen a few seconds later, wearing a suit. "Rey," said Elaine, checking the time and raising a brow. "Did you just return from a party?"

"Perhaps," he said with a shrug. "I was bored. One of my witches turned twenty-one and asked that I take her to a club."

"And like a good big brother... and partial father figure... you took her. I'm sure she enjoyed it."