Chapter 8

Luckily, Esther lost her.

She'd managed to catch a glimpse of Rebekah, but the vampire left the scene so quickly that Esther had to re-start her spell to try and find her. Finn reported that Esther was having trouble conjuring up an image of Rebekah again, despite the Cloaking Spell being shattered. With any luck, Rebekah would keep moving quickly enough to prevent Esther from accomplishing anything.

Finn first set himself up to perform a spell that might block Esther's attempts to find Rebekah. He couldn't cloak his sister and niece directly because he had nothing of theirs, or any inkling as to their location, but he could do his best to mute their signal and send his mother on a wild goose chase.

Elaine paced the room, calling Reynard to see if it was possible to shield Rebekah from a distance. He didn't think it was possible, which left them at a loss, and only able to hope that Finn's spell would be enough in the meantime.

As expected, Reynard vowed to keep secret what his mother revealed about Hope. Like Elaine, he'd always had a soft spot for children, seeing himself in them. His vivid memories of what he endured growing up kept him sympathetic. He had no reason to want to see Hope Mikaelson harmed, and though he hated the Mikaelsons due to all he'd heard of them, he didn't think it fair for her to suffer for a bargain her grandmother made well over a thousand years ago.

"The spell is done," announced Finn, dropping his hands and drawing a deep breath. "My mother will not be able to find her. It gives Rebekah time to cloak herself and the child again."

"But they might not know they have to do that," said Elaine. "She might just run and run until she reaches a prepared safe house. Your siblings have those everywhere, already spelled. Which isn't as good as a Cloaking Spell on the baby, but it will do something to cover them while they stay there. We need to tell them to get cloaked separately, prior to arriving to any safe house. If Dahlia were to start her search now, she'd find where the signal went dead and estimate where the safe house is." She rubbed her wrists nervously. "We cannot delay any longer. We have to tell them about Dahlia."

"Yes," said Finn gravely. "But Elaine— who do you plan to speak to? Hayley? She went to the Bayou. You'd be entering wolf territory, there is no guarantee you'd be able to inject yourself with the cure even if you did make it out safely."

"Then I speak to Klaus," said Elaine, shrugging her shoulders.

"No! Absolutely not! He will kill you, Elaine! I will go instead."

"He'll kill you, Finn! How is that any safer? You'd be delivering yourself to him, and you're not strong enough to go up against him! I am. Niklaus and I never had a problem with one another in the past."

"He thinks your sister broke his heart, he thinks he's unworthy of love because of her. What, are you planning to tell him the truth to soften him? He'll be at war with Elijah and it will cause a bigger problem. What's more, you have to make it past Elijah, who likely will kill you to silence you and keep that truth hidden."

"I can make it past Elijah! I could beat him in a fight."

"And if you can't? He is more aggressive now than he's ever been after the spell my mother placed on his mind. He will harm you severely before he kills you. My brother has killed his own lovers in brutal ways, what makes you believe he will not thoroughly disfigure you prior to ripping your heart out?"

"There's no guarantee, I know. But sending a note to Rebekah or Astral Projecting might not work with her being on the move. And you're right about the Bayou being unsafe. I have no guarantee I'd get to Hayley without getting bitten. Those wolves prowled around in their most primal form for most of their lives. They are far weaker than me, but I do not know enough about who does or does not have a moonlight ring, or who can and cannot control their form. Hayley transforms there often, and if I walk in while she is roaming around as a wolf, she becomes the predator despite the strength I have over her. Klaus is our only option. He is the only one I will speak to, not Elijah."