Chapter 22

January 19, 2013

Elaine loved Germany.

She hadn't lived there much in past centuries. Every now and then they'd settle in a town for a little while, have some fun, then return to France or wherever she and Aurora were currently taking their mental health vacations.

There was a new sense of magic this time. Germany now housed her brother and sister, her son, and Finn all at once. It was a place she could call home for a more extended period of time, if she wished.

She lived with Aurora in an apartment in Quedlinburg, just about two hours North of Erfurt, where The Strix were stationed. Aurora was much happier in the little apartment than she'd been in the large mansion, and it pleased her immensely to be so close to her sister again. Finn lived just around the corner in another apartment, one very much to his liking. Reynard and Tristan could visit whenever they wished, which was just about every other day.

Lucien had come to see them about a week after they settled in. News had already spread quickly of what Elaine and Reynard had witnessed (and experienced) at the hands of Dahlia. Many of their closest associates were furious that they'd nearly perished helping the Mikaelsons (be it because they hated that they made any sort of partnership with the Mikaelsons or because the Mikaelsons expected them to die for Hope). Lucien had rushed to meet with them as soon as he found out that the Originals had nearly all died in one fell swoop.

"Really, you're overreacting," said Elaine dismissively when Lucien snapped that he'd kill Klaus for what'd happened. "This wasn't Niklaus's fault, Lucien, darling, I chose to help his daughter and I knew it was a risk. I knew we were facing a major threat—"

"Perhaps if he didn't think so highly of himself and make every being on Earth his enemy, he needn't have relied on your help!" fumed Lucien. "Reynard nearly died along with you, Elaine. He must pay for it!"

"We decided to stick around when we did not have to, we had to see it through. Lucien, please, you're blaming him for that which is not his fault. This was Dahlia's doing."

"Be it Dahlia's doing or not, Niklaus is a monster, a selfish bastard—"

"Hold your tongue. You know I don't like when you refer to him or anyone that way."

"Reynard was not marked as a bastard the way you thought he'd be, there's no reason the word should offend you when Niklaus is a bastard, and he's done more with the identity to ruin lives. He ruined us, Elaine, he must pay. I almost lost you and Reynard because of his carelessness! Because he's such a beast that no one else would have helped him. And he would have died in that case, without you and your son's brilliance. Then, what? He and Elijah would be gone, and so would myself, Reynard, and Tristan. Perhaps Rebekah might have died too. The Originals have been far too reckless with who they trust and how they react. It's no wonder everyone is out to get them. Unfortunately, because we are linked to them, we must fear for our lives whenever they enter any stupid and avoidable conflict. I say no more. I say we remove that link once and for all!"

"Listen to yourself, Lucien," said Elaine. "Your anger, it makes you just as he is."

"No," he said, jabbing a finger in her direction. "I am his better, I always have been. We are superior to the Originals. And it's about time they knew that. It's about time we separated ourselves fully so they could realize how weak they are. We have all survived because we have fought tooth and nail to stay alive, but they merely got lucky that they were daggered and kept safe in boxes. They were lucky that all of us were unknowingly protecting them— and did so consciously when we learned of the link— to allow them to walk the Earth as long as they have. But the unlinking must happen now. We discussed it, didn't we, Elaine, when Finn and Kol died? We had a conversation. Do not pretend you forgot it."