Chapter 26

The duplication spell was the least of their problems.

They left the wine festival hastily. Freya and Rebekah did not question it, electing to stay and walk around some more. Elaine and Finn got right back to the hotel, researching what they could about the spell to hopefully give Reynard and Kol a bit of an edge.

Naturally, it stopped being a top priority within minutes.

"Rey," said Elaine, surprised to find her son calling her so soon after they last spoke. "I assume that you, my brilliant bébé, are calling to say you've figured it all out?"

"No," he replied viciously. She could practically feel the spit launching off of his tongue as he spoke with more venom laced in his tone than she'd heard in a long time. "I need your help."

She straightened up, glancing over at Finn as he returned from trying to wash a pasta sauce stain off of his button-up. "What's wrong, my love?"

"Cami. I was supposed to meet her and she is not here. She is punctual, she keeps her word. Something is wrong. Someone has taken her, of that I have no doubt. We must find her."

Elaine didn't need to think too hard to imagine who the culprit might be. "Does your uncle know where Aya is?" inquired Elaine darkly.

"I have yet to contact him. I need you searching while I speak with him. If that little bitch has laid a finger on Cami, I will torture her for the next millennium on repeat. I am done with her inserting herself into every relationship I have ever had and ruining my happiness."

While Elaine would have liked to celebrate that Reynard was finally putting Aya in her place, it seemed premature considering Cami was still missing and would not be found so soon. "If worst comes to worst, you know I will handle her, Rey. Finn and I will get searching."

"Freya will perform a Locator Spell," offered Finn loud enough for Reynard to hear. "She rather likes Cami, we all do."

"Niklaus cannot know," Reynard warned. "I know not what affections he may or may not still harbor for her but I do know that he may kill Aya himself instead of allowing us to handle matters. I want to decide her fate."

"Very well, then," said Finn. "Freya will not tell anyone. I'm sure we will find her soon. Unless she is cloaked."

"If she is, I will find out which Strix witch helped Aya and I will punish them, too."

"Reynard," said Elaine, slightly alarmed to hear this. "You love those girls, you'd do anything for them."

"They are meant to be loyal to me, Mother. Not to her. If any of them have been twisted to her agenda then they are a weak link to be severed. If we are to pull off the de-linking, I need them ready to do as I say. No one else should be able to influence them. Everything must go perfectly now that the idiotic duplication spell is needed. If Aya stands in the way of that, and if she's corrupted any of my girls... then the Coven needs to be purified."

Finn was visibly concerned as the call was ended abruptly by Reynard. Elaine felt just the same, hand trembling as she set her phone in her pocket. "The last time he had this much rage," she murmured, "was when his friend died of wolf venom. Lucien scrambled to make that cure thinking Reynard's revenge would be his downfall. I do not like the sound of this."

"If Aya dies, it is not a very big problem," said Finn. "However, given the relationship he has with those girls, if they know he has harmed one of their own... they may not listen to him or respect him in the same way. They look up to him. He is their protector, their teacher, the closest thing they have to a good parental figure. That relationship will forever be shattered. They will not do his bidding."