Act Three - Chapter Seventeen

____________________

Chapter Seventeen - invincible shields

____________________

Sleeping soundly on the grass never felt so comfortable. If it weren't for the blinding sun in her eyes and the yelling coming from across the yard, Mercy would have stayed there all day.

Voices slowly filled Mercy's ears: Lori reminding Carl to eat something before getting ready, Rick conversing with Daryl and Glenn on how many walkers they believe could be lurking inside the prison, and Edith humming while brushing through Elijah's now slightly grown out hair.

Mercy sat up, hands planted firmly on the ground to support her weight. She hated mornings. More than she used to. Back then Shane would drag her out of bed kicking and screaming if he had to, throwing her over his shoulder. But now, the group lets mercy sleep in. It should be a good thing, Mercy should be grateful. But instead all she can feel is grief. Even if she wanted to be awake, she couldn't get back into that state of consciousness. The only reason she decided to stand up, really move at all was the fact that she had a lot of people relying on her today.

She got up, grabbed her clothes and changed into them swiftly, double knotting her shoes, and tying her hair back as suggested by Maggie a few weeks prior,

"Short hair doesn't give them anything to grab," she had said with a smile, her southern drawl warming mercy's heart.

Mercy grabbed her weapon of choice and slipped it into her belt as well as a large hunting knife.

The air around her smelled like saltwater and fresh soil, the wind carrying the smell of pine trees with it, the soft sounds of nature and the rustling of leaves filling her ears. But still, she didn't find peace here. She was always looking over her shoulders for some kind of sign of the undead stalking along behind her, or someone attempting to harm their group or steal their food. No matter how safe this prison was going to be, Nothing was safe enough. And yet, nothing happened. There wasn't a whisper of a breeze to stir the dust, and every step was silent. Even the wildlife was quiet, all she could hear being birds singing and soft conversation between her peers.

Mercy joined the group quickly, just catching the end of breakfast. She reached over and plucked glenns half eaten granola bar out of his hand as he began to slip it back into his backpack, taking a large bite out of it, practically eating it whole.

"Goddamn mercy," Glenn mumbled, a soft, tired smile playing across his face. In that same moment, Rick whistled loudly, earning the attention of everyone in the area.

"Those of you who I've asked to help clear, meet me over by the gate in ten minutes. Everyone else stays behind us, and keeps a lookout." he explained quickly and simply. Mercy lifted her hand into a thumbs up, not even looking at the sheriff, as everyone else gave answers in the form of nods or half assed "gotchas"