thirty-five

< Wednesday 27, 2019 >

{ Hannah }

My whole world crumbled. When I saw that Cason was gone, I crumbled in Ashton's arms. The second I was somewhat able to compose myself, we filed a report with the police with as much detail as possible. Now 12 hours later, Ashton and I are sitting in a police station with an officer, filling out papers with the same detail I told them.

"The report is in and there is an Amber Alert out for him," the officer told us, "Do you think he's at risk of being injured?"

"I don't" I spoke honestly, "I think they did it to get back at me"

"Back at you for what?" he asked. I sighed and Ashton took my hand in his,

"I cut off contact with them a while back for reasons and they no longer got to see him," I told him, "So this is my fault"

"No it is not babe" Ashton stepped in, then looked at the officer, "The decision to cut them out of their lives was made based on derogatory comments and a few other things"

"We're going to do everything to bring him home. We already have officers heading to your parent's house along with your grandparent's house" the officer told us, "Is there anywhere else they might go?"

"My grandparents have a place in Washington. I don't know if they'd be there already or not" I shrugged,

"Okay. And any other people we should be aware of?" he asked next. I went to say no, but Ashton cut me off,

"What about Zach?" he whispered,

"My son's biological dad, Zach Reynolds. He has no custodial rights at all but he and my parents called CPS on me a few months ago" I told him, "But the last thing I know is that he's in New York"

The officer nodded and had people sent to the places we listed and put alerts out,

"Everything is being taken care of. Now, I know you just want to be out finding your son, but the best thing you can do right now is to go home and take care of yourself. You will be called the minute we get an update and/or if he is found"

I felt defeated but I nodded.

Ashton and I headed out the door and hopped into his car. The second the door closed, I was in full tears. Ashton's arms came around my the best they could with the center console,

"I know baby" he whispered, choking up himself, "I know. He's going to come home soon"

****

We returned to my house and I just felt empty. The house was empty because of moving but it felt extra empty without my little boy. My heart felt empty.

"Baby, why don't we take a shower and get some fresh clothes on" Ashton suggested, his hand on my lower back,

"I have to listen for the phone" I told him, "They could call"

Ashton sent me a sorry look,

"We can sit the phone right by the shower so we can hear it" he spoke. I sighed but nodded. He quickly pecked my lips and we headed to my room where the window was still broken from last night,

"Go hop in the shower. I'll get that fixed up and cleaned up" he ushered. I slowly turned and entered my bathroom, turning the shower on to the hottest setting. I got undressed and stepped in then just stared at the wall. I didn't wash anything- I just stood there.

I looked around my shower and saw Cason's Paw Patrol body soap sitting on the shelf. He's been using my bathroom since we've got his packed up. I gently picked the soap up and smelled it before putting it back down.

I could hear Ashton in the bathroom and some shuffling around before he spoke,

"Baby? Can I join you or do you want to be alone?"

"Join me" I pleaded. I heard him mumbled something and then he opened the curtain, stepping in with me.

I turned to face him and let my face tuck into his chest as his arms held me,

"Our friends texted" he hummed, "And said they'd do whatever we need"

I nodded and let my arms wrap around his waist, squeezing him tight,

"I love you" I whispered,

"I love you more sweetheart"

****

Most of the day was spent moping in bed. I couldn't bring myself to get up. Ashton's spent the day taking care of me, but I know it's hard for him when he's sad and scared too.

He finally climbed in bed with me and cuddled me. We both knew we wouldn't sleep tonight so we just cuddled for comfort.

Just as I started to relax, my phone rang. I jumped up and answered it, putting it on speaker,

"Hello?" I spoke, Ashton holding onto my waist to keep me still,

"We found him" was the first thing they told me, "But he's in Washington. You all should head up here. They're taking him to the children's hospital"

"Is he okay?" I panicked,

"They found him walking down the side of the interstate. He's cold and hungry. He probably will get a little sick from the weather since it's snowing up there and he was in it for quite some time" he told me, "But he really wants his mom and dad"

"We're on our way" I spoke and hung up.

As soon as I hung up, Ashton and I were grabbing things, packed a bag, and we were out the door and in the car,

"17 hours and we'll be with our boy"