Chapter 5

"What..." I stutter, hardly able to get out the one word I seem capable of forming. "What..."

Josh holds up his hands as if worried I might explode. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I just—" I throw my arms around him, effectively cutting off his rambling. He hugs me back tightly.

"You're alive," I whisper, smiling widely, barely able to believe it. I blink away tears that have started to form in my eyes, determined to keep it together. I step away from him, holding him at arm's length and looking over him as if it's been years instead of weeks. His soft blue eyes hold mine intensely, and I notice that he is blinking too, trying to keep from crying.

"I thought I'd never see you again," Josh says apologetically, shaking his head so that his shaggy blonde hair falls in front of his eyes. He looks the same, and for a moment I can even believe that he never left.

But he did. The reality of the situation creeps over me as I stand there.

"You're alive," I say again, studying him closely. "And you're here. How is that possible?"

"It's a long story." Josh gives me a careful smile. "And I'm not sure you're going to believe it."

"Try me," I insist, crossing my arms tightly against my chest. "I've got time."

"I was hoping you'd say that," Josh replies, his tone becoming more confident with every word. "Because I'm not leaving until you hear me out."

"I just said, I'm listening. Out with it, Fawster."

"Okay," Josh says. "But first, you tell me, what exactly did they tell you when they came for you?"

I stare at him, uncomprehending. "Came for me? What's that supposed to mean?"

Josh stares back, his eyes reflecting my confusion. "Someone came to get you, right?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

Josh shakes his head. "Never mind," he says, still looking lost. "I thought—forget it. I'll just tell you myself."

"You're not making sense."

Josh takes a deep breath. "When I was ten, my mom was in an accident."

"I know that," I cut in, rather offended at the implication that I might not. "We've been friends for years. I know your mom. Of course I know that." His mom's been wheelchair bound since the day I met him. She told me there was an explosion at the factory where she used to work.

"Right. But I never told you why. Not the real reason. My mom, she's...different."

"What does your mom have to do with this?" I interrupt. He gives me an irritated look.

"I'm getting to that."

I sigh impatiently, but allow him to continue.

"My mom can control things. Things she shouldn't be able to control like electricity and the air. All she has to do is think, and they do whatever she wants."

I roll my eyes. "Oh come on."

"It's true," Josh insists.

"Sure." I start to feel irritated. "Magic. Do you have any idea how insane you sound?"

"Lilly," Josh pleads. "Just hear me out."

"I'll hear you out when you stop acting delusional," I shoot back, my frustration rising with each second.

"My mom was a part of this group," Josh plows ahead, not waiting for my consent. "They would meet every day, in the basement of an old abandoned building at the edge of town to practice. They were always really careful, but somehow someone found out." He swallows hard. "The officials blew up the building the next day while they were all inside."