Chapter 23

"That makes no sense," Josh says. "Why not just sneak off? No one would have noticed."

It's been three days since the storm. No one has seen Erica since.

"Maybe she wanted to be sure that no one saw."

Something tugs at my mind. It feels important. I turn to Josh. "The city," I say. "Storms mess up the electrical grid."

"So what? If she wanted to get into the city, she could just stop the flow to her individual Fides. That would be far more reliable than causing an all-out storm."

"Maybe she doesn't have that power," I suggest.

"She does," Sienna says. "The Fi...chip thingy...can be stopped by an air or water power. Erica has both. She has all of the elements. Plus about a hundred more."

"How do you know that?" Josh asks. "I hardly ever see her, and when I do, she's almost never using any powers."

"My mom's a leader, remember?" Sienna shrugs. "You hear things."

"Well," I say, impatiently. "If that's not the reason than what is? What motive could Griffin possibly have for creating a storm at the exact moment Erica decides to sneak off? You can't honestly believe that was a coincidence."

"I don't," Josh admits, "But I don't have an answer, either."

There is a moment of silence, each of us picking at our small portion of leftover fish without enthusiasm. Since Erica's disappearance, Wren has been secretly growing all kinds of foods back in the forest, ready to risk it now that Erica can't watch her every move. She's still nervous, watching over her shoulder whenever we're out there, but has allowed Sienna, Kyle and me to eat from it when no one's around. She has even expanded her circle of trust to include Josh and Xavier at Sienna and my insistence, after making them both promise sincerely not to tell.

Sienna and I think that she should tell everyone, but agree to keep her secret in our small group, unwilling to risk our chance at fresh food by pushing the matter. In the short time we've been eating there, we've overdone it more than a few times, leaving us having to force our rations down later to avoid suspicion. They taste even worse with the contrast of the fresh produce.

Josh finishes first and stands up to return his bowl. Sienna turns to me as soon as he is out of earshot.

"We have to find out what Erica is up to," she says. "Tell me you have a plan."

"Of course I do."

"Well? Spill!" Sienna encourages.

"Well, I'm thinking there might be some clues in the invisible house. I know you and Josh don't believe me, but she can get into it. Alone. I've seen her."

Sienna bites her lip, probably trying to stop the words that inevitably follow. "But the shield power doesn't work like that. Only those related to the caster..."

"I know, I know," I cut her off, not in the mood to argue. "But somehow she is getting in. And maybe there's something there that could tell us where she went."

"Well, I'm in," Sienna says. "I'm not sure how Josh will feel about it though."

I shrug. "Maybe we just don't mention it to him," I say.

Sienna smiles. "Now you're talking."

We attempt to wait until everyone is asleep before sneaking out, worried Maddie would cause a scene and get us caught. I scramble out of the shelter first, nearly avoiding kicking a girl in the head, but somehow make it out without detection. Sienna follows, stifling a giggle at my spastic fumble, as she falls out after me.